Author Topic: Spring 2019 Game  (Read 5263 times)

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
Spring 2019 Game
« on: April 18, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

A friend and I have been working our way through a 39 Europe Game. It's my first time playing the Allies (but 10th or so game overall) and his first time playing the Axis. We are treating it as more of a learning game for him; should knock out a couple more turns of game 1 tomorrow and will likely then reset and play again over the next 6 weeks or so. I have been remiss and not taken many pictures but I will take some more tomorrow when we start with the summer 1942 turn,

Thus far:

France, with significant help from her British Allies lasted until Autumn 1940 throwing a real wrench into Germany's preparation for Operation Barbarossa. In Africa, Wavell aggressively attacked Rommel and his Italian minions and, with the help of the Med Fleet routinely disrupting Italian convoys, quickly crushed Mussolini's dreams of empire. Currently the Afrika Korps is retreating towards Tripoli while a combined Anglo force is poised in Gibraltar to invade French North Africa.

In the Atlantic, Germany's difficulties with France and need to build up against the Russians precluded any large commitment of resources to the U-boat fleet. Combined with steady British destroyer production, the British and commonwealth continue to churn out a plethora of units. In England strong Anglo forces are already semi-postured to launch a cross channel attack in the near future.

In Russia, Germany invaded in the summer of 1941 and achieved solid initial progress in the center behind Gen. Guderian's tactical prowess. The Germans have also made use of daring parachute attacks, forcing the Soviets to maintain garrisons well behind their front lines and even destroying a Soviet factory in Kharkov in the midst of its disassembly for transport to the East. However, the slower buildup of units due to France has been difficult to overcome. In the South the Soviets have bottled the Germans up behind the Dnieper. Meanwhile, in the North the Germans have pursued a curious strategy of moving substantial units to Finland, bypassing Leningrad, and approaching Moscow from the Northwest. While this has forced the Russians to employ large forces in the North in order to maintain supply to Leningrad, they are well situated to cut the German spearhead out of supply, and the Germans are struggling to achieve any significant strategic affects from their strategy.

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2019 Game
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
The Battle of France and Operation Barbarossa

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2019 Game
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:44 AM »
Wow - not bad for someone's first time playing the Axis!  Thanks for the pics and the update!