Author Topic: GenCon 2006 (w / Pics)  (Read 12243 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
GenCon 2006 (w / Pics)
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:34 AM »
Just got back from 3-days of wargaming at GenCon and boy am I wiped out!

THANKS TO ALL WHO PLAYED!  We had a packed table every day - Next year we'll have to bring two games.

It was an Axis weekend - We played three and a half games with the Axis winning three and the last game being called a draw.  The German's managed to pull a 1 in 6 chance upon capturing a trigger to get either Turkey or Spain into the war on all three of their victories - the dice (or, I should say, the Turkish diplomats) were squarely on the side of the Italians and Germans.

Having Turkey on your side can certainly tilt the scales.  That help, with Tim, who played the Germans for two games, seems to have perfected the "defeat Russia at all costs" strategy - which drove the Russians back to the Urals in 2 games and helped clinch the Axis victories.

Lots of pics to come!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:03:43 AM by Mark »

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon 2006
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:07:42 PM »
Thanks for running the game. Played the US and some Chinese on the Friday session. Had Japan on it's knees & clobbering time "INVASION" was quickly approaching. From what I saw of all 3 sessions, Friday was probably the closest win for the ALLIES.  Curse those victory points anyhow!!! If you do run 2 tables, try 1 for teaching new people with 2 sessions of 6 hours per day (9AM-3PM & 5PM-11PM) and a 2nd for the LONG haul game for the veteran players. THE 6 HOUR SESSSIONS SHOULD ALLOW FOR ABOUT 10 TURNS OR SO + INSTRUCTIONS & THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH REPS TO GET A NEW PLAYER COMFORTABLE WITH THE GAME MECHANICS. Maybe even be interested enough to make a game purchase too! By the way, a special price to purchase the game at the CON was an excellent idea. ;D

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
I had the pleasure to take over the Japanese late in the game as the gigantic US fleet was approaching. I threw everything I had at them - carrier planes, subs, cruisers, destroyers, battle ships and Kamikazies - and they still managed to surround my home islands, readying the death blow.
The game ended just before this because of the very successful advance of the Germans through Russia. Wow - that was close!

I have never seen the home islands invaded - that was the closest I have ever come to that happening...

What fun that would have been :-[

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:25:31 PM »
Players from Thursday's and Friday's games:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »
Friday's Big all day game (16 hours from Autumn 1939 - Summer 1945 before the Axis finally won)

From the lower left hand corner around clockwise its Bob taking care of the U.S., Tiny with Japan, John helping Sean out with Italy, Dave with the Russians, Marty running the British, Tim commanding Germany and I believe Harry as Uncle Joe Stalin.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:34:59 PM »
This one is from early on Friday - coffee on the table and it looks like France is still in the game. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 02:44:09 PM »
The Allied worst case scenario (which happened twice at GenCon) - Cairo has fallen to the Axis and Turkey swing into the Axis sphere of influence and joined then to make things very tough for the Brits in the Middle East and for the Russians in the Caucusus. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:46:52 PM »
This was from near the end of Friday's game - certainly around midnight and the game is almost over - The Allies are closing in on the Reich, but the failure of the D-day landings in the Summer of 1944 allowed the Germans to hang on to enough victory points to win the game.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »
Is Tim the same guy from Origins that was playing the day I played (Friday)?

I think from the pics I posted in the Origins AAR, it is.  He also played on Saturday.

Boy does he like playing the game!

Did he finally buy a copy?

Craig
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 07:09:44 AM by Yoper »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 07:52:51 AM »
Tim is the same Tim from Origins - he is a big advocate of the game - played it two days at Origins and all three days at GenCon - I think he is more into it than I am!

I think John sold all the games but one that he took to Origins - I'm not sure if Tim has a copy yet or not  - maybe he gets his fill at the cons. . .

Good luck tonight - hope you guys have a great game and it gets off to a good start!

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »

I had a great time at Gencon this year!  I played UK on Friday in the longest game I have ever been part of.  Going to Gencon this year I wasn't sure if I was going to play another marathon session but once I arrived and saw the game again - I had to play.  Plus, Thursday's game ended with an early victory for the Axis, I thought - this game can go shorter than 15 hours.  Nope - 16.5 hours into the game and lost in a very close struggle, the allies were about 1 round behind where we needed to be.  I have to say that I did get lots of help from Mark, John and Dave, but even my lucky (really very unlucky) rolls couldn't save me in the end.  At least 3 times I could not take a territory because the enemy had 1 item left that I could not kill.  I have lots of pictures that I need to post.  Thanks for a great time!!

Marty

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »

Early in the day.

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile