Author Topic: October 2015 "Struggle-Con" game  (Read 20223 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
October 2015 "Struggle-Con" game
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
Finally getting around to posting pics of the big game John hosted in October!  We had 9+ players gather for a big WW game that we played over 3.5 days.  The pic below shows all of the players - going counter-clockwise from the bottom left, we had Jeff and James as the Allies in the Pacific, George as the West Front Axis, Dave and John as the Western Allies, Ron as the Soviets, Craig and Mike as the Japanese and then me (taking the picture) as the East Front Axis. . . . Always fun when you have this many people involved in a single big game!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: October 2015 "Struggle-Con" game
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
The game started pretty well for the Axis.  The chits fell in the Autumn of 1939 in a way that enabled the Germans to conduct a surprise assault on the Ardennes very early and drive the Belgian army back into Flanders.  The Japanese took and consolidated ground in China.
In the Winter, the Germans invaded Holland and took the rest of Belgium and were poised for a lightning strike into France in the Spring.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
In the Spring of 1940, the Italians invaded Crete and took Northern Greece.  The Allies defended Paris too well for a lightning strike right for the capitol, but contented themselves with taking most of Eastern France and cutting the Maginot Line out of supply.  The plan will be to mop up France in the Summer.  The Japanese continued to push the Chinese back into the hinterlands of mainland China, suffering only light casualties.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
Great shots ! I don't see an japanesse ground Unit occupy Hainan. Shouldn't there spawn a communist ? :-)?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:40 AM »
Yes - should be a communist there - good catch

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:29:43 AM »
The Axis (well, me) made their first major mistake in the Summer of 1940 by giving away the initiative. . .I think I wanted to react and be last with my planes - which I will not do again in this situation.  The Allies took advantage of getting the initiative by attacking Guderian's panzers (and winning), forcing him to retreat and unable to attack on the double mech phases.  While the Germans were able to take 4 French territories, France did not surrender and continued to fight into the Autumn.

The silver lining I suppose is that the Italians were able to defeat Grecce by themselves with relatively light casualties.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:37:22 AM »
Autumn 1940

France fell in the Autumn ( finally ) and the Germans took many more casualties than I had hoped.  The initial victories in the Autumn and Winter of 1939 taking out the low countries early has ended in a very luke-warm victory over France late in 1940.  At least Norway fell and was occupied without a hitch.  Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria have joined the Germans as the Axis gaze turns East.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »
 8)
ouch yeah France campaign always hurts so much .. When playing france , best Option seems to be to throw everything into a Kamikaze. Hurting the germans as much as possible. When playing germany you always can pray that you don't loose too much ;-). But on other side as an axis player, nothing Is more fun and give you a happiness than having these early victories. I Miss that when playing a 1941 game  ;D

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
Extreme aggression seems to be the best policy with France... Barring bad luck

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
Choices, choices, that's what this game is all about. Give the initiate away and pray that the Allies don't get to move on the first chit drawn, and get to move your airplanes last, thus minimizing the loss of your air force, OR take the initiative but you will risk not having air superiority on some areas. Best move will be keep as much of your air force at the front, that way you will be able to react to adjacent battles or pin the Allies fighters. Next time I'm flying in a day earlier, 😜😜

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
Did You alter  the stats of the japanesse leaders ? I see some different stats on Nishio & ushiroku ?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »
No - should be the same as are in the drop box file.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:42 AM »
Winter 1940

Luftwaffe bombing England in the Winter of 1940.  Geman U-boats establish bases along the Atlantic coast. In the Med, Rommel has established the Akrika Korps with the Italian fleet redeployed to the Aegean with heavy support from the Germans and Italian airforces.  The war of resistance continues in China.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:39:16 AM »
Spring 1941

Due to the delays in France, the Germans have had to delay Barbarossa to the Summer - but at the end of Spring, the Armee Groups are in position and ready to launch their offensive on June 22nd.  In North Africa, Rommel's recon units have reached Mersa Matruh before withdrawing to Sidi Barrani.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 04:25:22 AM »
Mark- I think that I need to fly in next time and take up the role of your chief of staff.  You need someone to keep an eye on you. ;)