Author Topic: Leaders and Nationality  (Read 6062 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Leaders and Nationality
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
Is a rule something like the one below needed?  It seems like some funky things can happen without some leadership governance injected into the game:

1.5.7 Leader Nationality and command.  In order for a leader to command units in a battle, at least half of the initial front line units must be of the same nationality as the leader.  If this condition is not met, the leader may not participate as a leader for the battle and remains in reserve (also see 11.1).  For example, Rommel is attacked in North Africa and has 4 Italian units and only 2 German units for his front line forces.  In this example, Rommel is inelligible to command in the battle and an Italian leader needs to be selected.  If 3 German units and 3 Italian units were selected as the front line units, Rommel would be eligible to command.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Leaders and Nationality
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
I like it. What is stopping someone who wants to use Rommel to artificially cut the front line down, I.e - 2 German front line, 2 Italian front line - keep the other 2 Italian front line units in reserve...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
I think they should have at least one national units to be able to command...

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »
What about as the battles progresses when at the subsequent rounds the Italians become more than the Germans? Does he loses his reroll ability and will have have to bring another leader from the reserves? Historically Rommmel had more Italians under his command than Germans in North Africa, tho.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »
Well historical each Battle had several generals from different Nations .. You either have To allow much more leaders been active in battles or if the rule is really needed to use Johns Suggestion as many Axis leaders  Huge forces of other Nations without having large own forces. ( rommel , kesselring , messe ).

i think in the Pacific there is also a us General that helped the Chinese .. You would Need a Special rule for him

I would not implement this rule .. I often find It enough unneeded complex that you can't move infantry of the other allied Nation in mech phase together with your tanks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:49:33 PM by Darkman »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »
OK, perhaps this is too complex to do something with.  I just wanted to avoid something funky like the Germans transferring Lutjens to command the Italian fleet or something. . .

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 04:24:21 AM »
Mh true , ok i did not thought about Naval Leaders... on the other Hand i often use british leaders on US/British fleets....  mh maybe giving the italian some valueable naval leaders would fix it ;-) or making this a naval rule only