Author Topic: WWII Struggle for Europe: An opportunity to personalize your own board game.  (Read 39365 times)

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ive been an owner of this game for 4 yrs, but I didnt actually started playing it the last 2. Im starting this blog to help new ppl to better understand this game, or give some ideas to the existing owners on where to find the playing pieces, painting ideas etc.. Ive been painting minis for a few yrs, Im not at any way a pro, but I try my best. When you order the game you receive an email with all the files( country charts, battleboards, and markers that you will need to print out on your own. I printed mine out, glue them on a card board and laminate the set charts. You You are also need to print out the playing counters and glue them underneath the minis, but I didnt have to do that since Im using my own personalized ones. At the first pics you will see how the battleboards look like and the national set cards. The map is a thing of beauty, and the apprx size is 4x6 ft.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:25:33 AM by georgemak1 »

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Now to store all the playing pieces I purchased a few multi compartment storage cases, you can find them at Home Depot or Harbor Freight and they are pretty inexpensive.  I use one for the Axis plus French units, one for the Allies and their minor, one for the air unit bases, and one for the game markers. I advice you to purchase a few different color chips, I use them to mark fortification construction, units that have been retreated or naval transported and cant move in the mech phase. I purchased mine At HBG (Historical Board Gaming) and they cost 2.75 for 50 of them.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Now lets start viewing the playing pieces. Ill start with the generic ones (ill use them for every country), leader stands, landing craft, fortification, and AA units. I purchased these plastic stands online, then cut them in half they work perfect for the leaders as you can see. For AA units I use the AA that came with the Axis and Allies game, very inexpensive solution. For landing craft I purchased them online from a company that I dont remember at the moment, I paid 10-15 bucks for a dozen of them. For fortification I went with something that looks like a bunker, HBG sells them,Part Number ACC_VCMTOK-2.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ill start showing every country individually, Ill start with German inf pieces. You will need 4 different types of them, early 39-41( better combat values), late 42- 45, Mnt troops, and Paratroopers. For the early war inf I used Caesar Set H037 painting them with the usual early war theme Grey pants with the greenish top. For the late war I used Caesar set HB01 with the appropriate uniform, very easy to distinguish them in the game. An inexpensive option will be, use the A&A inf with different painting schemes. For Mnt inf is a mix of Caesar Set H067 and Caesar Set H005, and for Paratroopers I used a mix of Caesar Set H068 and HBGs "Battle Pieces" - WW2 Germany Expansion Set. First pic is the early war vs late war inf, and the second pic is the Mnt and the para units.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
]GERMAN ARMOR UNITS: There are 7 different armor pieces in this game, let start with each one individually.

1)Panzergrenadiers:1/285 Sdkfz 251 vehicle which comes in 2 choices, metal from cinc or GHQ, or plastic from the HBG website, have both and look great, painted dark blue/grey
2)SS Panzergrenadiers:  Same as the above but I use a camouflage painting theme, very easily distinguishable.
3)Panzer unit: I personally use a plastic PzIII piece that I purchased from HBG, can use any PzIII or IV models.
4)Heavy Panzer: I use the piece that came fro  the Battle of the Bulge A&A game, can probably use a Panther tank for this.
5)SS Panzer: I use a Tiger piece, plastic bought it from HBG.
6)STG Assault Gun: I use a StuGIII piece, cut the turret, from HBG.
7)Jagdpanzers: I use the1/285 JGPZ IV L70 piece from GHQ.

As I noted above my choices arent always the best that I can find out there, but I did try to keep the budget low, or use pieces that I already owned. I even to this day I look for ways to upgrade my pieces.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
German Artillery Units: There are 6 different artillery pieces. I always try to find a plastic piece before I use a metallic one, metallic may have a little better detail, but bend easily, on the other hand plastic is less expensive and durable.

1) Artillery: Im using the HBG "Battle Pieces" - German & Axis Minors Supplement Set 1 - 105mm Artillery. Plastic, inexpensive.
2) AA Gun: Im using the AA pieces that came with all the earlier A&A games. I use the same piece for every country as I noted above.
3)Heavy Artillery: Im using HBG "Battle Pieces" - German Expansion Set - Morser 210mm Heavy Artillery. Plastic.
4)Mechanized artillery: Im using HBG "Battle Pieces" - German & Axis Minors Supplement Set 1 - Hummel SP Artillery. Plastic as well.
5)German 88s: Im using the piece that came with the A&A games.
6)Anti Tank guns: I had to improvise here, due to the metal ones come with long metal barrels that bent easily, I went with 152mm Howitzer Artillery - Russia (Europe 1940-2nd Ed). I liked the long barrel look, I'm using the same piece for every country's AT unit, just paint it different for each country, dark grey for the Germans here.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Before I start reviewing the German air units I would like to show you how I made my flight stands. You can buy flight stands online but most of them require for you to glue the aircraft to the stand , and I didnt want to go that way. The materials that I used for my self made stands are:
1) Galvanized roofing nails, 7/8 in long, big head, purchased them at Home Depot for 2.98$ for 5 lbs, appx 250 nails.
2)8.5x11 inch Flexible Magnetic Sheet (HEAVY DUTY): From Litko, $8.74
3)Model Hobby Cement, super glue
4)Roller cutter and Hobby knife.
5)Polystyrene foam sheet from Michaels.
6)High Gloss self-adhesive printing paper: To print the aircraft counters.

First print the aircraft counters from the files and cut them with scissors long single stripes,(that would make easier to use the roller later). Stick them on the polystyrene sheet and cut them. I cut the tip of the nails, made a small hole in the middle of the counter, put the a good amount of super glue and stick the nail in there. Let it dry, and in the meantime cut small squares from the magnetic sheet, and glue them underneath the planes, the final product should look like something like that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:28:21 AM by georgemak1 »

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
German Air Units: There are 7different types of aircraft that being used in this game.

1)Me109: I use the plane that came with A&A games, recently I bought a few metal ones from Tumbling Dice just to have some extra but they are noticeably small than the ones that Ive been using.
2)Me110: Im using the one from HBG "Battle Pieces" - WW2 Germany Expansion Set.
3)FW190: 3 choices, A&A game but its very big, HBG "Battle Pieces" - German & Axis Minors Supplement Set  but its kinda small, I went with the one from Tumbling Dice, metal but satisfied with the size.
4)Me262: Im using the one from HBG "Battle Pieces" - WW2 Germany Expansion Set, plastic but looks great.
5)Ju87 "Stuka":Using the one from the newer A&A games, kinda big, but HBG is coming out with a new German expansion that will have ju-87s probably I will be replacing it.
6)German Medium Bomber: Using HBG "Battle Pieces" - WW2 Germany Expansion Set (Do17), and the ones from the newer A&A games (Ju88).
7)Transport planes: Using the ones that came in the HBG "Battle Pieces" - German Expansion Set

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
German Naval Units. There 9 different units in the game.

1)Transports: I use the ones that came with the A&A games.
2)Landing Craft: 1/700 scale generic for every nation, shapeway sells a few different ones, I purchased mine from a website that cant recall the name at this moment.
3)Merchart Raiders: Im looking for an inexpensive unit to buy, in the meantime Im using the old transports that came with the first A&A games.
4)U-boats: You can use the A&A pieces or a better alternative the HBG "Battle Pieces" - German Expansion Set - Type XXI Super Sub. I know Germans didnt use those until the very end, but it has a wide base, looks great, and easier to keep it standing.
5)Destroyers: The ones that came from A&A games.
6)Cruisers:   The ones that came from A&A games.
7)Battleships: Using the one from HBG "Battle Pieces" - German Expansion Set - Schleswig Holstein Battleship.
8)Aircraft Carriers: The ones that came from A&A games.
9)Type XXI U-Boats: HBG "Battle Pieces" - German Expansion Set - Type XXI Super Sub, with the chip under it to distinquish it from the regular subs.

Ps: There is a Battlecruiser unit that is being used by the German Navy, I use the old A&A Battleships.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Wow - great job George!

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Struggle for Europe: An opportunity to personalize your own board game.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »
Thank you John. They are 4 more German units left to review for this game.
1)U-Boat Pens: I purchased them in 3D shapeway website, used 3, glued them together, and print the label for it.
2)V-Rockets: Im using the V-2 Rocket Set (3d Printed) from HBG. Very nice unit.
3)Airbase: Im still using the counters printed and sticked on a HIPS - High Impact Polystyrene Sheet - Styrene Sheet, 0.030" purchased on Ebay, planning really soon on using plastic airfield sculpts from 3D Shapeways.
4)Factory: Im using the factories that came in the A&A games.

So we are done reviewing the German units, next up is the other European Axis country, Italy. Stay tuned.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Struggle for Europe: An opportunity to personalize your own board game.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »
They are 3 different Italian Infantry units in the game, plus the fortification which is the same for every country. I use a national flag under it to know which country the fortification belongs to.

1)Reg. Infantry: I use the unit from (FMG Combat Units) in brown or blue grayish uniform. For a little chrome, for the North African Italian Inf I use the pieces from Caesar Set H072 WWII Italian Infantry.  ( Shown in Pic #2) .

2)Mnt Troops: Esci or Italeri have set of Mnt Itallian troops, I use the German Inf unit, I just paint the base of the soldier with the Italian insignia, cheap and looks good too. Maybe in the future Ill but a set and paint it.

3)Paratroopers: I use WWII Italian Paratroopers from Caesar Set H075.

4) Fortifications: Generic piece from HBG Victory City Markers.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
Italian Mech. Units: There are 3 different types. All the units are from the Italian  Field Marshal Games  Combat Units set.

1)Motorized Inf: I use the Autoblinda 41 Armored Car - Italy (FMG Combat Units).

2)Early War Armor: I use Carro Armato 41Tank - Italy (FMG Combat Units) Tank.

3)Medium Armor: I use Semovente 105/25 Tank - Italy (FMG Combat Units) Tank.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:41:18 AM »
Italian Artillery Units:There 3 different artillery units.

1)Artillery: I use the 105mm Artillery - Italy (FMG Combat Units)

2)AA Guns: I use the generic piece from the A&A Games.

3)Anti-tank guns: As I said above I use 152mm Howitzer Artillery - Russia (Europe 1940-2nd Ed), painted in Italian paint scheme.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
Italian Air Units: There are 4 Italian air units.

1) Early fighter: I use the CR-42 from Tumbling Dice.

2)Fighter: I use the Macchi C202 Fighter - Italy (FMG Combat Units).

3) Bomber: I use the SM-79 Transport/Bomber Aircraft - Italy (FMG Combat Units).

4)Trans Planes: I use the Br-20 Medium/ Heavy Bomber - Italy (FMG Combat Units)