Author Topic: Miniature pics  (Read 13133 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Miniature pics
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »
I don't know how much interest there would be in this, but here are some photos of what I've painted up recently. First up - some Pz IVDs in 1942 Eastern Front pattern. German AFVs at the start of the war were painted grey because the theory is that would make them less visible when stopped in shadows. On the plains of Russia, however, the grey color made them very visible. They began to use a two tone system, such as this one, and eventually moved to a base color of dunklegelb, with camouflage patterns over this. These are PFC-CinC models (from their Axis & Allies special) and a true pleasure to paint.

"Peace through superior firepower"

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature pics
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
Some Sd Kfz 251 halftracks in early war grey. I'm not sure who made them - they came from the deluxe version of the first edition I bought from them back in 2005. Quality on them isn't great so I experimented a little with them, including a flag draped on the hood as an air recognition marker.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
Some more German halftracks, this time in late war Eastern Front camo pattern. These are GHQ models, and much better quality than the previous ones. After I had photographed these I saw the slips of the brush when I painted the interior seats, so these will be going back to the factory for some touch up work. These will be SS Panzer Grenadiers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:06:04 PM by Bobsalt »

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
Some Pz 38(t)s, in an early war blue-grey scheme. I'm not sure why, but some vehicles in the early part of the war were blue-gray instead of the normal grey. Anyone who knows why feel free to chime in. The blue doesn't show that much in this photo, but is really cool looking on the map. I loved working on these - I thinned the paint a little, which left the rivets a little lighter than the hulls.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
Some SiG 33s. I had these laying around, and decided to use them as stand-ins for the Jagdpanzers.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »
Some Shermans. Again, I don't know the manufacturer; these are more pieces from the first edition game. Again, the quality of them isn't the best, though they're better than the German halftracks. Still, I think they came out OK.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »
Some Stuart light tanks. These also came with the first edition game, but were much higher quality than most of the other pieces. These were shadowed with a mixture of black & brown ink and acrylic floor wax.

More when I get them painted.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »
Very good job Bobsalt

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:30:09 AM »
Wow - great detail Bob! I hope we can connect at a convention one day!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »
I especially like those Stuarts

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
I especially like those Stuarts
They were the ones that were in the game I bought from you in 2005. The quality of those miniatures was very uneven. Some were not too good like the halftracks - others had nice details, like the Stuarts. They were also really easy to paint. They were already in the base olive green color, so all I did was detail the tracks a little in black and brown, then use the floor wax mixture on them. Once dry, add a couple of decals, some dull coat lacquer, and they're done. Hopefully some day down the road I'll actually get to play a game with them.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 02:44:35 PM »
I'm trying to take a more serious run again at getting all of my pieces painted.

Pic one is the artillery that came with the version one of the game I bought back in 2005. Not great quality pieces, but it doesn't make financial sense to buy better quality pieces when I have so many of these. I plan to use the originals and only buy better quality where I need more quantity. Hopefully the difference in quality won't be too noticeable on the tabletop.

Pic 2 are Soviet SU-122 tank destroyers from GHQ. The paint is a little light for WWII Soviet armor. The color is Soviet Green from Polly S. Someone on the GHQ site painted up some T-34s with this color that were gorgeous, so I thought I'd try it myself. They look a little too light to me, and I even thought of doing them over, but I decided they looked too good (if I say so myself) to paint over.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 04:34:45 AM »
Looks really nice!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:01 AM »
Yes - great job! Nice eye candy!

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Latest additions.

First up - BT-7 light tanks. These pieces were from the deluxe first edition of the game I bought in 2005. Not great molds, but there are some that are worse.

Like these Katyushas. Not much detail on these, but I decided that I was gong to use every piece I possibly could if the quality was at least passable, if for no other reason than to save money by not buying the same pieces I already had (albeit of lower quality).

Last photo: 10 x T-34/76 tanks. These pieces are from PFC C-in-C - they have a "Axis & Allies" special where you get 10 each of the 5 powers in A&A. The T-34s in this bundle are probably the lowest quality of all of the 5, but I'd still rate them about an 8 out of 10. On these, I painted them all in Polly S Russian Armor Green, and added the tactical numbers and patriotic slogans from a decal sheet I got from I have no idea where.

I still have 3 x T-34s to paint, then it's on to the French. I'll have to buy more T-34s - the rest of the ones that came with the game are so bad I decided I really couldn't use them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:33:03 PM by Bobsalt »