Author Topic: Counter-offensives  (Read 5989 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Counter-offensives
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »
Suggestion to change counter-offensive battle resolution immediately rather than waiting for the combat phase.  A gamey situation could arise where player A would attack a large army with 1 infantry to force the large army to counteroffensive while moving all of his other armies away in remaining chit draws, before the counter-offensive army can do anything about it.

I think resolving counter-offensives immediately may make more sense and be consistent with things like naval snap-fire.

Here is the working draft of the rule change:

9.2 Counter-Offensives (C-O)
If a territory or sea zone is attacked before the defending units in the space have had an opportunity to move, the defender may declare a “counter-offensive” on the next chit draw that would have enabled him to move his units. Counter-offensives, like naval snap-fire (see 7.1), are resolved immediately at the conclusion of the chit draw that the units executing the counter-offensive move.

9.2.1 A counter-offensive means the defender’s attack values are used & attacker terrain and weather modifiers are applied to both sides.  If the side executing the C-O eliminates all attacking front line units in the first round of combat, the C-O is a successful, enabling the C-O units to move and conduct attacks with the movement chit they drew would allow.  Air units involved in a C-O are allowed to move adjacent again to support any battles the C-O units initiate or move into.

9.2.2 If the C-O is unsuccessful, surviving attacking front line and support units get to fire at the defender units again for free (essentially getting a bonus round of attacks after the defender has rolled).  No leader re-roll modifiers are applied to this special round of combat. After this bonus round, the units are placed back on the battle board for normal combat resolution during the combat phase. Defending units (that attempted the C-O) remain and defend the territory.

9.2.3 If a C-O is declared against an attack coming over a major river, the attacker suffers the attack penalty for a major river on the first round.  The side declaring the C-O does not suffer the river attack penalty on the first round.

9.2.4 Fleets that have not moved and that are attacked may announce counteroffensives as well (same rules as above). If the battle only lasts one round the naval units still get to move their full tactical movement.

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Counter-offensives
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
Makes sense, like it a lot better.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
Me too 8)

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
Get in touch with everybody and set the dates for a get together,  Im planning a trip in upstate NY in early October , I want to buy my tickets, as soon as possible 😀😀😀😀

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »
+1

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
+1 because you like the rule - or - +1: We should expect one more player to come to Boston in October?   ;D

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:02 AM »
Oh sorry :-) i meant i like the rule !

If you guys would live here in Europe ! It wouldn't that big deal to meet for
Gaming regulary  8)i really would love To do it..
But this year was my own marriage and at the Moment i'm on holidays in Croatia . But i'm Looking forward to make it happen one Day.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
Congrats! Good excuse to come and visit the U.S. in the future!