Author Topic: British air & anit-sub builds  (Read 5521 times)

derdiktator

• Captain
    • View Profile
British air & anit-sub builds
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:33:17 AM »
John wrote:
>I agree with your defense of the Atlantic
>strategy. Get the extra carrier
>and destoyers out quickly.

The way I have seen it, not making the Battle of the Atlantic absolutely top Royal Navy priority (second only to holding London) is yet one more way for the Allies to lose the war.  Against a determined German U-boat campaign, even when the Atlantic has top priority, things can still be hairy; anything less than top priority spells almost guaranteed disaster.

John wrote:
>Brits need to TRY to max out fighters
>(or close to it) -  They may need lend lease
>right away to do all of this building.

Maxing Brit fighters is laudable and I agree requires high US lend lease prior to Pearl Harbor.  Unfortunately, this now flies in contradiction to my perceived need to also build US carriers at the same time (due to unforted islands only basing one plane), and which can only come from lend lease funds.  I currently favor the Brits keeping the Royal Navy away from the Luftwaffe during late 1940 and 1941 so that a large Brit fighter force is not such a priority.  However, the jury is still out on this for me.  Obviously there are contradictory requirements here between lend lease needs, Brit fighters, and American carriers (and lord knows what else) and for which I currently have no resolution.

dd

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: British air & anit-sub builds
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
So here is my take on the game from the Atlantic (I really did not follow what was going on in the Pacific)

1) The Brits can help out in France but I think they need to retreat on the Spring 1940 turn. No falling back to Paris to help defend.

2) I agree with your defense of the Atlantic strategy. Get the extra carrier and destoyers out quickly.

3) Brits need to TRY to max out fighters (or close to it) - They may need lend lease right away to do all of this building.

4) The US tank builds are great initially

5) The Allies need to land somewhere on the Continent a bit earlier than I did in this game.

More to add on this as I continue to lose...  Â  :o