Author Topic: Counter battery fire / firing on support units  (Read 6255 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Counter battery fire / firing on support units
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
After playing with the rule as written for a couple years now - there are some aspects to this that I do not like; namely - too much of an alternative for artillery to fire at support units (especially heavy artillery) and too difficult for planes.

I think planes should almost be able to hit a support unit as easily as a front line target (maybe even easier), but it should be more challenging for artillery counter battery fire. . .(but all artillery should be about the same effectiveness).

So - I am thinking about changing this to planes can target support units and hit them at their bombing face value & ALL artillery can fire and hit support units on a 3 or less - regardless of their printed value. . .

Let me know what you think. . .

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Counter battery fire / firing on support units
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:45:14 PM »
Hey Mark

I have to admit we rarely fired on support units at all. 
The -1 value + the terrain modifiers are already always feel a gamble as we often try to break the enemy frontline as soon as possible.

Even my stukas don't like the -1 for support and try to hit the frontline Tanks first ;-) reducing the Chance for artillery even more i think would making it no longer a strategy Option. 

Overall I think it is a good rule and easy to understand.. I think Artillery Positions were often Camouflaged ..so the -1 for planes sounded ok for me.

Maybe we have more people Write , what they think?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:49 AM »
I like the way things work now - but I'm open to playtesting

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:04:57 AM »
That change is so extreme - that it makes counter battery artillery use no longer an option

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:34 AM »
Really it is only 1 worse for artillery (3 instead of 4 or less).  It is one better for all planes.  The only thing it really effects is heavy artillery. . .which is the intent.  In many of our games, we use heavy artillery as an artillery killer for the other side - and it really should not be playing that role.  Heavy artillery should not be super more effective than other artillery in counter-battery fire.  If anything it should perhaps be worse as it is so slow.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
Always willing to playtest. 3 for ground is pretty ineffective - though - its 2 worse than regular. I feel that dimension of the game will be lost toward the mid to end game for sure. Is it too imbalanced?

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
I like it for realism but how does it affect game balance? A question for playtesting

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »
One of the suggestions here is instead of changing the way we allow support unit to hit the back line is change the value of heavy artillery.  An idea is to make them attack on a 5 (or maybe a 6) - but heavy artillery hits kill forts outright (double hits on forts).  This would perhaps align them better to their intended purpose . . .rather than the way they sometimes get used.

Thoughts on that idea?

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
I fear too much mini ruling :-)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:51:37 AM »
I do like the "kill forts outright". That will add a nice flavor to the game. I do think that there will be quite an effort to knock out heavy artillery. They will be pretty key in many instances. Which is good!