Author Topic: Christmas Special  (Read 37374 times)

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
Christmas Special
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:50:12 AM »
The troops prepare for war as autumn 1939 approaches. In their haste to mobilize quickly many supply departments may have given out the wrong camouflage gear to their troops (my painting could use some work). Should start later today:)

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Special
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:19:50 AM »
poland looks woefully unprepared to meet the german onslaught

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:25:18 AM »
france eyes the the german army in their immediate vicinity and thinks "hey, we might actually be able to win this time"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
WOW - looks great!  I think your paint job looks pretty good!   Better than my paint job for most of the units!  It took us years to assemble and finally paint our set - it looks like you did it in a matter of weeks. . .

I like how you are using different chips for the Allies and the Axis. . .

You may want to double check your German set-up.  It looks like a couple spots are switched maybe and you are missing a few of the infantry that start in Germany.

Hope you have a great game - hope you can document it and post it!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:13:40 AM by Mark »

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
you're correct, i didnt quite have the right setup, thanks for catching that. so we played turn 1 this afternoon. it was slow going as i was teaching the rules to a new player, but hopefully the pace will quicken as we get into it.

Germany slaughtered poland with light casualties while railing almost all of its armor and its top generals west. it started 3 new me109s, a stuka, two panzers, 2 artillery and purchased some infantry and a landing craft in preparation for invading norway (1 para 1 alpine inf 1 bomber and 1 battlecruiser against oslo). it also attacked convoy zones dealing 7 damage although luth barely escaped with his life and fled from an overzealous destroyer before launching his torpedoes.

italy moved infantry and a bomber to africa and redeployed a fighter and tank division to southern italy while started a new transport and fighter.

in the west france prepared her defenses while the british landed the first divisions of the bef on the continent.

russia rolled over poland which really just had one of the worst autumns imaginable, inflicting about 4 casualties on the entire forces of germany and russia. russia also redeployed significant forces to leningrad under kirponos. he faces off with the intimidating mannerheim in what is sure to be a deadly winter war.

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
pics

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
more

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »
Game looks fantastic! Love some of the different units for Panzgr and transport planes. Great initial buys for Germany. Especially fond of the 2 artillery right out of  the gates  8)

A few turns - the game will go much faster.

Here is a new Players Aid Summary Page

Let us know how you like it.

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »
awesome, thanks. Indeed, france and belgium are quaking in their boots. I didn't see anything in the rules about paying for amphibious or parachute assaults? Is that correct or did I miss something?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
No - there is no additional payment for amphib or para-drops.  The investment you have to make in landing craft is enough (note that you lose the landing craft unit when you use it to land units on an enemy occupied shore).

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Winter 1939-40

Lots of action. The Germans invaded denmark, holland, and belgium. guderian's tactical skill was on display in belgium saving several infantry divisions from destruction although an artillery was lost. the french bravely sent their air force to assist their belgium allies, and while not inflicting any casualties they escaped unharmed. germany also sunk the dutch transport. farther north a daring winter assault on oslo was successful. the successful initial invasion and substantial german airpower has hitler greedily eyeing swedens iron ore. u-boats swung into the north atlantic, dealing 12 damage points against britain and the commonwealth.

in the east russia invaded latvia and vyborg and only lost a couple infantry under kirponos's expert leadership.

italy beefed up africa and appears poised to declare war in spring while britain reinforced egypt with an australian infantry and artillery.

question - can units landed by transports in the movement phase move 1 space in the noncom phase?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
question - can units landed by transports in the movement phase move 1 space in the noncom phase?

Yes - unit landed by transports can move on the non-combat phase (into another friendly owned territory).  Units landed by transports may not move on the mechanized phase.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
It will be interesting to see how initiative for Spring turns out. Both side have some interesting options here

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
We are paused mid turn but a quick update. Germany won the initiative and drew a two to start.  Germany has shattered the French 3rd army and is poised to mech into Paris under guderian .  In Picardy a pinning attack under hoth has yet to be rolled but will include a massive airbase with 8 allied fighters of varying quality matching up against 6 me109s

jnimer

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
Air attack*