Author Topic: JohnCon 2014 - After Action PbP  (Read 40013 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
JohnCon 2014 - After Action PbP
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »
Had a great weekend at John's where a group of folks got to together to play a 1939 Europe game.  We started Friday around 11am and played through until Sunday around 5pm.  All told - about 38 hours of hardcore gaming!  Different folks came in and out to take over parts of theaters, but there was a core group of 3-4 that played through from start to finish. 

Allies consisted of John (all), Bryan (all), Mikie (Sun).  Axis consisted of Mark (all), Jeff (Fri), Chris (Sat night) and Joe (Sun).

Here are some pics before all the carnage started. . .All quiet after the set-up Friday morning. . .

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Re: JohnCon 2014 - After Action PbP
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
WoW! Hardcore! I wish i would have been there ,-)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Darkman - if you want to make the trip - consider this an open invite  ;)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »
WoW! Hardcore! I wish i would have been there ,-)

Yes - it was pretty intense. . .We played probably 11am-1am on Friday (14 hours), 9am-1am on Saturday (16 hours), and 9am-5pm on Sunday (another 8 hours). . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:35 AM »
End of Turn 1 - Autumn 1939

The first initiative chit to fall was the German '2' - which enabled most of the German army, with the exception of East Prussia to hit Poland.  The Germans attacked in order to lock down the Polish army.  About 10 infantry, a couple armor and a few panzergrenadiers were left out of the attack in order to rail to the west.

A few more chits were drawn before the Germans got their '0 - all move' initiative.  Luckily they drew it before the Allies, enabling them to attack Warsaw from East Prussia (had the allies drawn it first, I would have expected a spoiling attack to come out of Warsaw and hit East Prussia).  The Germans applied most of their airpower to the Warsaw battle and won it.  This enabled the German mech units to mech-move west instead of into Warsaw.  Transport plane took our para west along with Guderian and Hoepner to the Rhineland.  With the rail redeployment, the Germans are sitting with a pretty nice sized army ready to go in the Winter if they choose.

The u-boats inflicted some good economic damage on the Brits, but we lost an ace right out of the gates to Allied ASW.

In the Med, Italy remained neutral, redeployed their airpower to North Africa, Graziani and three more infantry to Albania, built a landing craft and started a transport. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:57:54 AM by Mark »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:59 AM »
Poles shot down a German Squadron!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:17 AM »
Poles shot down a German Squadron!

Yeah - I forgot about that. . . Germans lost a u-boat ace to British ASW and a me109 unit to the Polish air force on the first turn. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:03:13 AM »
German builds by the way were:
Started 2 me 109 fighter units
Started 1 Stuka
Started 1 hy Artillery unit
Started 2 panzer units
Started 1 panzergrenadier unit
Built 2 Artillery units
Built a Landing Craft
Finished 1 U-boat
Saved 1 PP

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:23:51 AM »
End of Turn 2 - Winter 1939

I believe the Germans took the initiative on turn 2.  Another good round of economic damage to the British convoys by German u-boats.  No losses this time.  Guderian attacked Belgium in the Winter with a lot of support (3 artillery, 1 hy artillery, 2 stukas and bombers) and was able to smash through the Ardennes.  He then carried on a mechanized attack into Champaigne that was also successful (I believe I lost only 1 panzergrenadier and 1 88 in the mech attack).

The Germans also declared war on and invaded Holland.  The Allies thought they had a chance to defend it and inflict additional casualties on the Germans by landing a British expeditionary force of an artillery unit and an infantry unit under the command of Gort to reinforce the Dutch. Despite the Winter conditions, however, the Allied landings ended in a fiasco as the Germans blew through the Dutch defenses and even managed to score hits on the reserve British units landing at Rotterdam, eliminating them.  Gort was forced to retreat to Flanders.  The one bright spot to the Netherlands debacle was that the Dutch transport managed to evade German bombers and escape to England to carry on the fight.

The British continued to invest heavily in the defense of France, forting down 2 British and 1 Canadian infantry in Paris.  The French built 2 additional fighters and the British 3 additional fighters (a spit, hurricane, and a mosquito). All told the Allies have 9 fighter units in Southern England and Northern France (against only 8 German - good thing I built those 2 fighters out of the gates).

In the Med, the Italians declared war on Greece.  They dispatched their air force and navy into the Aegean and bombed the Greek transport in port (the Italian fleet waiting outside of port in case the planes missed and we needed to finish it off with surface gunnery).  The raid on Athens was successful, however, and the Greek navy eliminated.  The Italians landed their armored unit in Albania and look to be preparing for an attack on Epirus.  The navy returned to Taranto and the Italians finished building their 2nd transport and added another landing craft on the build phase.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:49:13 AM by Mark »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:19:39 AM »
The loss of the support forces for Holland was a surprise - sometimes the battle (dice) really tilt to one side. Things usually even out over the long run though :o

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
End of Turn 3 - Spring 1940

A lot of choices for the German High Command. . ."How best to finish France off quickly with minimal casualties"?  Alas, the choice was not to be for the Germans to make.  The Allies won the initiative roll for Spring 1940 and decided to take it for themselves.  Wavell's plan, no doubt, was to attack Guderian and the German spearheads and stop them in their tracks. . .

While lucky with the initiative die roll, the Allies were less lucky with the chit draw, pulling a '4' for the first draw - which enabled them to move nothing. . . a lot of drama out of the gates, but the German high command got its wish and on the next draw decided to put into effect their attack.  While risky, Guderian took his spearhead and threw it against Paris.  Reichenau launched a pinning attack against the allied forces in Picardy to prevent them from reinforcing the Paris battle.  Hoeppner moved the rest of the mechanized forces into Champaigne in order to assault Paris with a mech attack in case Gurderian failed. The German 2nd army attacked Flanders to eliminate the rest of the Belgian army.

Guderian's attack was halted by a determined Allied defense at the gates of Paris.  While many of the Allied fortifications were reduced, the Allies were able to repel the German assault with minimal casualties.  So minimal in fact, that Hoeppner's planned mech assault was called off (due also in part to the preponderance of Allied air power that could be brought into a mechanized battle over Paris).  Instead, the Germans sent Hoeppner South to take Dijon and encircle the French forces still defending the Maginot forts in Alsace-Lorraine.

So - the Allies were successful in defending France in the Spring and prevented a French collapse - but, the Germans are well positioned to be able to take France out in the Summer.

In the Med, the Italians furthered their war with Greece by invading Crete with 2 infantry via landing craft supported by the Italian navy and air force.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:26 PM »
Darkman - if you want to make the trip - consider this an open invite  ;)

:-) thanks when i will plan a trip to the U.S i won't forget you guys!

Question to the game.
Since when the Greece and Yugoslavia troops are already placed on Initial Setup.
I always played that they will be placed on declare war.

I like the german units in Wilhelmshaven planning the Invasion of england..
for the transport rules it is written that you can disembark immediatly in a friendly or unoccuipied territory rather than waiting for the combat phase.

Q: Is a territory also enemy occupied if only planes are in that territory? i would say it is unoccupied for that rule so you can't move planes into that territory to block that.. but i don't know how you guys play that.

I would say no ground troops in Plymouth , so the germans could do an invasion there with their troops if they have luck with the initiative and the bomber gets an instant return :)

France campaign looks not so good for the axis if the allies get the iniative ! Can't wait to see more!!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:52:34 PM by Darkman »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
Since when the Greece and Yugoslavia troops are already placed on Initial Setup.
I always played that they will be placed on declare war.

This is true.  We set them up at the beginning just to save time later.  I gave John the option to move around the Greek units when I declared war, if he wanted.  There were not too many options, though.  Crete gets one infantry unit and the mainland gets 7 units and an artillery unit between three territories.

For the transport rules it is written that you can disembark immediately in a friendly or unoccupied territory rather than waiting for the combat phase.

This is true, but it is still considered an amphibious assault even against unoccupied enemy territory.  So the German transport could only still move 2 spaces and at least 1 infantry would need to be landed via landing craft (though the German player would not have to discard the landing craft at the conclusion of the assault).  See the Amphibious Assault rules under Ground Combat.

An air unit would still mean the territory is unoccupied.  It needs to be occupied by an enemy ground unit.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 06:43:53 AM »
End of Turn 4 - Summer 1940

The Germans got the initiative.  With the double Summer mech move/combat, I felt confident I could take France out this turn.  The question was how to do it with the fewest casualties possible. . .

Unconventionally, I withdrew most of the Luftwaffe out of France - why risk it in a battle where half the Allied planes were French and were going to be removed if France surrendered anyway?  The Germans then attacked Paris with a pinning force from the 1st Army under Rundstedt.  Hoepner sent a large mechanized force South of Paris through Vichy and then he, Guderian's panzergroup, and Reichenau's 4th army struck at the unsupplied French in Alsace Lorraine.

The French in Picardy retook the now abandoned Champaigne and Ardennes, but the Germans were able to take out Alsace-Lorraine pretty easily with Guderian's double offensive tactical re-roll.  The French army in Paris was attacked for one round by Rundstedt, effectively pinning them.  With almost no mechanized units the Allies were powerless to prevent Hoeppner's tanks from rolling on into Languedoc, Bordeaux and Brittany.  Thus, the Germans were able to secure 6 in-supply French territories, more than meeting their requirements for a French surrender, which they accepted.  Thankfully casualties in the Paris pinning action and the Alsace attack were light and we managed to end the French campaign in relatively good shape. 

On the non-combat move, the Germans redeployed their air force to Flanders and Holland to punish England and prehaps lay the groundwork for operation Sea Lion.  Some of the U-Boat fleet was ported in our newly captured French ports on the Bay of Biscay - opening up several more convoy zones to our wolf packs. The remnants of the British Army in France fell back to the Channel ports around Calais hoping for evacuation to England - will their Dunkirk be successful?

In the Med, The Italians attacked Epirus with a joint attack from Albania as well as an Amphibious assault from Taranto (I wanted that battleship shot).  Luck continued to be with the Italians and we blew through Greek defenses with light casualties and forced them back to Athens.  On the non-combat move, the Italians redeployed their air force to Crete and Rhodes.

While the fall of France was happening, the Germans took advantage of the chaos on the continent to invade Trondheim and central Norway. It was a weak incursion, but I wanted to get into Norway soon and the situation presented itself.  Don't know if I should have waited for more force or not. . .

Some German builds were placed in Austria for our upcoming plans to deal with Yugoslavia.  I did not capture the Romanian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian deployments in the picture, but they, of course, joined the Axis and were deployed at the end of the turn when France fell.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:53:07 AM by Mark »

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »
Really cool :) The painted units look so beautiful.