Forum Index > Game Design

Operation Rhine Exercise

(1/8) > >>

Darkman:
Hey guys,

as i really like the improvement to naval mechanics,  i think the movement "attack" range and the 1 battle per turn is still too short.

Looking at this map and comparing it with the playing Map the movement range you can use to attack other ships or to do strategic combat needs a overthinking.

What do you guys think about a strategic attack also on "8" ? Removing the 6 or keeping it only for Subs?
(Didn't compare the Sub vs battleship\cruiser.. surface ranges ...) Maybe you?

Having a "second movement phase" for tactical moving ships to lay a trap for home moving ships. (Next rule ->)

And another rule where surface ships that move back to port(Actually in the Non-Combat Phase) can be forced for a battle again if the move through sea zones where enemy tactical ships are still present.. So if the ship that moves back home is damaged , then it must start in the reserve row any can only fire back if it isn't hit.. if it is not damaged it can fight 1 round of combat normally before moving home. Several battles can occur on the way home.

It would need to have strategic moved ships first back to port (initiave winner first) . before tactical moving ships move back to port. 

What do you think ?
Edit: my graphic counts 7 spaces but it should be at least 8 because the Bismarck started in Gotenhafen

Mark:
Having trouble with how this might work in practice.  The Bismarck can still make it to the Northern Convoy Zone with 6 MPs - just can't make it there by going North of Iceland like it historically did.  Not sure if we should change the movement rules just to accommodate the movement north of Iceland as the Germans can achieve the same results.

Extending range for economic warfare may have lots of unforseen consequences too (like German battleships raiding the East Coast of the US) - which seems unlikely.

The Germans can achieve historically what they did during the war - just not the exact way they moved to the convoy zone.

As far as a second movement, I've always liked the idea, but not sure how to implement in practice.  It needs to be playtested and thought out more.  I am unsure what kinds of actions one might do that could 'game' movement without thinking through it more.

Darkman:
Ok thanks, i know the map can't give all wishes and historical facts or ranges. It's a game.. a good game :-)
Maybe the best of WW2 games. (At least that i know) 

I'm happy you guys sometimes thinking about a second attack movement for ships. It will think about it more. Maybe one day we find a good rule about it :-)

Mark:
I'm not opposed to tweaking the naval movement rules.  In fact, I am wanting to playtest the Pacific with naval units moving and attacking on both the regular movement phase and on the mech phase (2 tactical movement in both phases).  I just think any changes need some careful thought and playtesting.  Definitely want to hear your ideas on how you think naval movement could work better - please keep some ideas coming on this topic. . .

Mark

Mark:
Thinking a little bit more on this. . .

Perhaps, similar to the air unit reaction phase (CAP), we could integrate a naval reaction concept into that part of the action phase as well.

Naval units that do not move on the regular chit draw movement are eligible to react (similar to planes not moving on the chit draw phase are eligible to react).

Eligible naval units perhaps could react to an adjacent sea zone and succeed in intercepting on a 1-4, and react to enemy naval units 2 spaces away on a 1-3, 3 spaces away on a 1-2 and 4 spaces away on a 1.

The reacting naval player could break his eligible naval units into separate task forces and roll them separately in order to get a chance with a least one searching TF.

Combat for intercepting ships would be resolved after any naval or strategic combat taking place in the sea zone where the enemy naval units ended their movement.  So - if the German fleet sailed to attack a convoy zone, they would resolve their convoy strategic battle before the interception battle. .

Just some thoughts - not completely thought out yet. . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version