Author Topic: Axis victory  (Read 6837 times)

Uncle Joe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Axis victory
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:10:43 AM »
What are some best practices for a German victory in the second edition game?  In the after action reports it looks like the Axis win a number of your games.  Is their path to victory the same?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Axis victory
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
So - with fairly equally experienced players - the Axis should push into Russia as hard as possible but MUST pour defensive resources into the French coast to dissuade an early Allied landing. Focusing on a heavy economic war vs Allies early on can slow the Allied tide shift - forcing them to be VERY conservative with resources. Once the Allies fall behind the time line  - it can be very difficult for them to get back on track. Yes - they will eventually win the war BUT can they do it on time? That is all you are concerned about as an Axis player. Many games have been so close - right to the end!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »
Having played the Axis in the last 2 games - and lost both times - I have a new respect for how tough the game can be for the Axis.  The first 6 turns of the game are pretty critical I think.  Take too many losses in France and those losses can snowball later in the game and make it very tough in Russia.

Also - I am having a tough time with North Africa.  In the last two games, the UK have put almost all of their surface fleet into the Med and got after Axis North Africa ports every turn to keep Africa out of supply.  I think I need to play with a heavier air presence in the Med to deter this - but it has been a challenge as well.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:29 AM »
I'm happy you have new respect for playing the axis Mark :-)

That's why i came up with the german tank production thread that we discussed lately.
http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=489.0

In my eyes you need to be a very skilled axis player to avoid your medium tanks getting routed  due massive France\British anti tank & light armor tactics in France campaign or you are doomed in later game.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:29:36 AM »
OK - but note that the British and French can not build AT guns early in the war.  You are usually only facing a few Allied armor units and with a Guderian re-roll, you can avoid taking too many armor hits for the campaign.  I usually do not have a problem losing too many tanks in France, I sometimes lose several of my panzergrenadier units though.

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:57:05 AM »
True.. they can't build AT-Guns.. i think i have overseen that  :o Soo sry

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
Yes - in early versions we allowed the Allies to build AT units, but further discussion led us down the path that the Allies did not 1) have very effective AT weapons early in the war & 2) did not deploy them very effectively.  The British and French more often fought tanks with tanks (in North Africa as well).  So, we do not allow them to build AT units early in the war.