Author Topic: The Full Monty!  (Read 5739 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
The Full Monty!
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
Well, after I returned from WBC we started a full map '39 game this last Friday.

It is yours truly as all of the Allies versus Eric as the European Axis and Dan as the Japanese.

Should be an interesting ride.  The Poles caused a lot of damage in early fighting so maybe that can help put a dent in the German fortunes. 

We are using the optional entry systems for the US and USSR, but the USSR one has some changes that Eric came up with.  Specifically, an attempt at an escalating garrison requirement for both the Germans and the Soviets.  We shall see how this affects gameplay.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: The Full Monty!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Good luck, have a blast and keep us posted! 8)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
Eric misplayed his Spring romp against France and was acting like he would rather just throw in the towel, but we talked him out of it and he finished off France in the Summer turn.

As well as I bought and tried to get him to waste men in France, it just never works out.  You either leave the Paris too weak and they go straight in or they just ring around you and take everything else.

His screw up was based on actually having the Kriegsmarine trying to amphib down into Gascony, but he miscalculated the air ranges so no air cover and didn't send the paratrooper down either.  He then wanted to throw away the para in the Mech Phase to try to take it again after the amphib failed.  We talked him off the ledge and he continued with a normal turn in Summer '40.

I was only able to kill the cruiser and a sub off the French coast with damage on the battleship.  He lucked out on that gaffe.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Well - misclaculations can happen on both sides... Luck can balance that out as well - ask me how I know....:)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:10:56 AM »
I said to Dan that he pulled a "Craig" in not seeing things properly.  Eric never makes this kind of mistake!

You saw how much of a machine he is.  He sees all the possibilities and makes all the right moves.  The fact that he miscounted the air ranges as part of his planning threw me off as much as (if not more than) him since that isn't his normal way.