Author Topic: Latest Rule Version Changes  (Read 6450 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Latest Rule Version Changes
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »
Hey guys!

What are the changes that you have made to the rule set for this version.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Rule Version Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
Hi Yoper!

The main changes are to air unit movement.  Now, on the air movement phase all planes only move their printed range.  On the mechanized phase, they may support battles that are adjacent to where they ended their movement during the regular movement phase.  After mechanized battles, planes move their printed range to land in territories that were friendly owned at the beginning of the combat phase.

There had been some confusion to air movement and also they were getting crazy range to redeploy under the way the last version was written.  This limits their combat range in a given turn and seems to work well.

The other main change is to amphibious invasions.  Now, you need to land at least one front line unit via landing craft into enemy owned territories even if unoccupied.  The landing craft is only expended if there is a battle - so if not battle you don't lose the landing craft.  But, we were witnessing to many little amphibs into unoccupied rear area territories that did not seem realistic to us - so this fixed that situation.  It also made it more consistent with the rules about attacker retreats with no front line units.

I think most of the other changes were more clarifications of existing rules.

Mark

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »
Hey guys!

After reading and testing the new air movement rules.. i don't feel that well with it.
Too many things you have to keep track with the planes.

In the first ruleset it was really some confusion about planes that attack , and planes that fly 2x range to friendly territories and were able to defend in territory attacks and so on..

I like the 1x range and landing phase tho.. similiar to axis&allies and if i remember right the standard struggle game had the same rules.
Make the game in some sort clearer

But i think you made the same mistake now in the mech phase..
Wouldn't it be better to play with 1x range and landing phase in the mech phase again?
And then again in the second mech phase

Yeah it would extend their range again to how it was. But did it play so wrong?

What do you guys think about that?

Darkman

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
I admit it does take a a few turns to get used to and it may not be 'right' yet as a mechanic. . .

The thinking behind the rule was to solve two things: 1) over-extended range capabilities of planes, and 2) to shorten the game a little bit by avoiding having players to think about where and land planes after every combat phase.

First 1):  We found, especially in Summer, that German planes could support combat on the Russian front, move and land on the mech phase, move and land again on second mech and then move and land again on the non-combat phase.  Essentially letting them redeploy to the other side of the map - even after they participated in combat.  There was almost no reason for the Germans to keep any planes in France to repulse D-Day for exampe, as the entire Luftwaffe could redeploy and be there at the end of the turn without too many problems.  We did not like this and wanted to force instead some commitment of planes in each theater rather than the mass redeployment of planes on the mech and non-combat phases. 

Also - it seemed odd to us that planes could say support a regular battle in Southern Russia on the regular phase and then support a mech battle in Northern Russia on the mech phase.  It seemed like too much redeployment of planes and once committed to support a theater - that is where they should be committed.

Finally, it seemed to us that mech battles were really only an extension of the combat during the regular phase - the breakthrough and exploitation from the regular battles.  So, planes should still be committed to supporting the ongoing combat they were assigned to at the beginning of the turn.

Secondly 2) We were looking to shave 5-10 mins off of the time it took to play a game turn.  People were spending a lot of time thinking about where they were going to land their planes after combat so they could be used most effectively in the mech phase.  It did not 'feel' right given the points above and we felt like we could save some playing time by not allowing planes to "land" until all combat was over.

That being said, we are flexible in trying to address rules problems and happy to apply something better.  I just don't like to mega redeployment after combat that the multiple moves and landing would provide a player now.  What are some of the mechanic issues you and your group are having with the way we tried to restructure the air movement system?

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
Well written.

I mailed you a bunch of questions about the new air rule. Once answered i have to play with it more i think.

It's true people were spending a lot of time thinking about where they were going to land their planes.

I really like that you guys try to make "turns shorter".. so i give it a chance :-)
Even 10 mins in every turn make the different in a full game