Author Topic: Origins 2006 (w / Pics)  (Read 19209 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Origins 2006
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 02:31:50 PM »
First of several pics I will be posting from Origins. . .
The Fuhrer's gaze is frmly fixed on the Russian front while Tojo is happy about the direction of the Pacific War. . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 03:23:38 AM »
I have a few pictures that I will try to send along to you for posting.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
This was fun and I think from Friday's game at Origins:
The Germans sent their surface navy out into the Atlantic to do convoy damage and to (more importantly) sink destroyers so that the u-boats could do more convoy damage. . .

Well, the British player went all out to sink the Bismarck (and the rest of the German navy), pulling in ships from the Med, South Atlantic, and anywhere else he could get his hands on them.

The Germans got lucky on the first Allied "hunt" ducking into fog and a storm front to avoid the Royal Navy (aka: bad British dice).

Heartened by this "victory", the Germans amphibious landed troops in Iceland in order to give the Kriegsmarine some air cover so that it might make it back to Norway. . .

To no avail, though - the Germans lost most of their surface fleet the following turn - though they did manage to save their transport.

At least, as Admiral Raeder put it in 1939, "they managed to die gallantly. . ."

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:19:00 PM by Mark »

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 12:37:08 PM »
Here are some pics from Origins.

This first one is from the game I played in on Friday.

Craig

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
These two are from the game that was played on Saturday.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 08:27:54 AM »
Hey Craig,
    Thanks for the pics!

Will you be at Gencon?

Let me know how the game with your group turns out.

John

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »
At this time- no. :(

The World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) is the week of 08/01-08/06.

I can't convince the wife to let me go to GCI the next weekend.

Maybe I can talk her into visiting our friends in Indy.  They just moved into a new house. 

I was at GCI Saturday morning last year because we were visiting them.  I did not see you.  You were in the back corner of the ballroom that I was actually in.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »
This is Spring 1941 from Friday. . . How historical - German paratroopers have taken Crete and the Italian Army in North Africa has advanced into Egypt.

It looks like the RAF is striking back at the Italians in the Aegean though!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 10:46:04 AM »
Our firends over at Armchair General have written their final report from their own experiences at Origins and featured WWII: The Struggle for Europe and Asia in their summary.
You can check out the publication and their summary at:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »
Summer of 1941 - The Japanese have just taken French-Indo China, Siam has joined the Axis, and the Kwangtung army has pushed deep into China. . .

The Brits are building up a significant army of their own in Burma though!  The Germans must not be putting enough pressure on them in the Middle East. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
The Battle for the Pacific rages on in the Winter of 1942.  This is from Saturday's game!  The Japanese player was tenacious and managed to overwhelm and take Australia (weep  :'( ) Even though it was his first time playing.

But the Allies have managed to launch a counter-offensive of their own in the Central Pacific - taking back the Gilberts, Marshals, Solomons, and New Britain.

It looks like things are boiling down to another nasty naval confrontation off of the Marshals though - the Japanese have clearly had enough of this American incursion.  Will the Combined Imperial Fleet sink another US carrier group?
Answer:  Yes   -  Keep those ship yards working 24/7, boys!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 02:48:36 AM »
Summer of 1941 - The Japanese have just taken French-Indo China, Siam has joined the Axis, and the Kwangtung army has pushed deep into China. . .

The Brits are building up a significant army of their own in Burma though!  The Germans must not be putting enough pressure on them in the Middle East. . .

Ah!!!!!!!

My nice army in the middle then attacked to the north.  A disasterous decision!

The Chinese popping up behind me was because of a rule clarification that wasn't in the book but made on-site.

Actually, I would have been in a lot different position in the Chinese theater if I had remembered all that I had read in the rules about certain triggers.  I drove on Chungking from the north and was ready to attack it and the territory to the south of it too (from the South), but I was alerted to the fact that crossing the Yellow line would bring in the Western Allies.

In hindsight, based on what ended up happening to me, I should have attacked anyway.  The WA weren't in position to hurt me and it would have thrown them off.  They weren't ready to come into the game.  I would have been into India before they would have been able to counter.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:50 AM »
Craig,
   You did great!  Remember - it was only your first time!

John

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »
Played this game on Thursday for awhile, a brief stint in between some other games on Friday & then the ALL day job on Saturday playing different ALLIED positions as people came & went. My die rolls on the 1st game on Saturday were amazing & it would have been interesting if Germany could have recovered from the high losses it suffered.  The 2nd game was the MARATHON, 11 AM - 2 AM and it impressed me enough to try another MARATHON or all day attendance at GENCON INDY.  Will probably try the Allied side again since we lost the MARATHON.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 10:32:28 AM »
Another shot submitted from Origins!

The Allies have cleared North Africa and invaded Sicily!  Operation Husky a couple turns early!  While the Western Allies were doing great in this game, the Russian front was a disaster and eventually cost the Allies the game in the end. ..