Author Topic: Origins 2006 (w / Pics)  (Read 19207 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Origins 2006 (w / Pics)
« on: January 14, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
Are you going to run a game on Thursday?

I am going to be at Origins all four days hanging out with Greg Smorey and the A&A tourneys.

Thursday would be a good day for me to try the game out.

See you there!

Craig
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:04:36 AM by Mark »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Origins 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
Hello Craig,
     I am not sure about Mark. I think we were planning on flying in on Thursday eve. Will you be available at any other time during the weekend. I will be flying home Sunday AM. I will check on this.

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »
Hi Craig,

I am currently planning on being at Origins Thurs-Saturday.  I've registered to run the game all three days - hope to see you Thursday!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:22:15 AM »
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D :D 8) :)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:51 AM »
I just signed up on the Origins site for Friday.

I will probably be over to check out things a lot on Thursday since I don't expect to last long in the A&A D-Day tourney.

Friday, I will start playing the A&A Revised tourney at 6pm.  I think that will allow enough time (9am to 5pm) to enjoy a good game.  I hope that it will not be too much of a hassle to leave the game at that time.  Let me know.

I would like to at least have a copy of the rules to peruse before getting on site to play.  I don't like coming in blind.  I also don't like dragging down the game experience for others by not knowing what the hell I'm doing!

Let me know if that is possible.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 08:01:04 AM »
Yoper - You'll be hooked on Thursday!  Come on over whenever you are free. . .

If you take off at 5 on Friday - we'll just plan accordingly - that should get you through 1942 - so, you should maybe play one of the countries that is in the action early, rather than the US or a power that has more action later.

See you there!

Mark

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 02:57:25 AM »
I have read most of the rules.

Looks good!

Nicely written.

A few places where an idea seems a little screwy- combat units "supporting" support units?

I am sure there will be plenty of time to go over the game ideas while playing.

Oh, are you going to have copies of the game for sale at Origins?  I was thinking about getting a $195 version of the game to bring home to my gaming group.  Plus I can set it up at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) while I am running the Axis & Allies event for all to see.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 04:37:57 AM »
Yoper,

Thanks for the feedback - I can see what you mean about the verbage in the rules regarding support units - I will try to make that more clear.

Essentially, there are front line units and support units for ground combat in the game.  Front line units are infantry, fortifications, paratroopers, all types of armor, panzergrenadiers, AT guns, AA guns and 88's.

Support units are all types of air units, artillery, Katyusha Rockets and Naval gunfire support.

For a support unit to be "supported", you must have equal or greater number of front line units.  Support units in excess of this number are considered  "unsupported" and have a combat value of only "1" instead of their normal 2,3,4 or less combat value.

For example, if the attacker has 5 infantry, 3 artillery and 3 bombers attacking a space, the attacker would have 5 "Front Line" and 6 "Support" Units.  The attacker would have to pick which one of his support units is "unsupported" and place that unit in the "1" column on the combat board instead of its normal spot.

I'll make these dynamics more clear in the rules - but hopefully that clears things up for next weekend.

Thanks,
Mark

Oh, I think John is bringing a couple of the basic games to Origins.
Look forward to playing you there!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 05:16:28 AM »
I will have some basic games available on site.

John

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 03:01:30 AM »
Great guys!

As to the topic of support troops-  I understand what is actually going on, I am just saying that you should write it differently.

"The support unit can only fire at full strength if it has a front line unit to support.  If a support unit doesn't have a front line unit to support, then it fires at a "1"."

The direction of how you have it written is what sounds bad.  Front line units don't support "support units", "support units" support front line units.  That's why they are support units. :o

Until then!

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 04:54:47 AM »
Thanks Yoper!

you are right - your text conveys the meaning of front line and support status much more clearly - I'll edit the text in that section.

Look forward to 3 days of gaming!

Uncle Joe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 02:41:04 AM »
WOOHOO!   See you tomorrow for the war!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 03:41:19 AM »
Boy did I have fun! ;D

Thanks guys for being there and playing.

Even though I ran the Japanese into the ground on Friday, I still had alot of fun.

Now I will get my gaming group playing the copy I bought and be back for more next year.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:30:14 AM »
Hey Craig,
    Good to finally meet you! Hope your group enjoys the game as much as we do!

Love the dice towers!

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
We had an awesome time at Origins!  Â :D
3 Days of gaming go by just way too fast!  :'(
We met a lot of great players and sold a few games to boot.  The Origins staff set us up in the war room and we had plenty of like minded folks all about - I have to say the Origins experience for me was better than GenCon and I look forward to coming again next year!

Thanks to everyone who played and thanks for the dice towers Yoper - I don't know how we got by without them in the past!