Author Topic: German approach to a Fortress France  (Read 7010 times)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
German approach to a Fortress France
« on: December 31, 2005, 02:16:06 AM »
Updated advice given on the next post.  :)

John
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:38:32 AM by John D. »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: German approach to a Fortress France
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »
Ok. After many more games under my belt, here is my 2 cents on taking out France without disastrous results for the Germans so a good long game can be had by all.

I understand the the dice are a factor but I am trying to present a scenario that put the probabilities heavily in favor of the Germans.

All of this is assuming the UK is helping France out.

German Recommendations:

1) Start by buying AT LEAST 2 fighters. (BTW - It is a good idea to max build fighters through the WHOLE GAME)
2) Take out Belgium in the Winter. Move ALL OF THE ITALIAN units possible to Milan to threaten Provence. This is VERY important if France is tough
3) Move into Picardy in the Spring, especially if the Maginot line is well defended.
4) Take the counter attack if France goes for it. Sit tight. Allied units have to retreat after 1 round otherwise they will be out of position to defend Paris.
5) If the French do not surrender in the Spring - DO NOT WORRY.
6) In the Summer, you should be in a postion to surround Paris (this is why the Italians are very important to have in Milan). Do not blunder head on ito a well defended Paris!

If you have any questions as to why I make these recommendations, let me know.

John :)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: German approach to a Fortress France
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »
I think there are a number of alternatives to deal with France depending on how the Allies go about trying to defend it. 

I doubt I would try to bang my head into a really well defended Paris - I think rather, I would defend 2-3 spots with the Italians and the Germans and let the French hit me if I could not surround Paris for some reason.

The lack of getting your Axis minor Allies for a turn or two is compensated for the reduced casualties you take in besieging the French rather than attacking them.

At least I believe this has worked in the past.

Definately agree with the fighter builds.  In fact, my builds for the first three turns as Germany are exclusively focused on stuff I may need to deal with France - everything else can wait until after the French are dealt with.

It will be interesting to see how Craig and Eric try to play France - I guess we will see.