Author Topic: JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -  (Read 24060 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
So, in Summer 1941 - things looked pretty bad for the Russians in the South . . . I guess I can see how I lost the game.  Neverthless, things started to look up for the Russians in the North by the end of Autumn 1941 and for the British in Egypt - which had stopped Rommel's advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »
Yeah - I was pretty much about to give up on NA. No real lend lease went to the Russians so I think that is problematic with an early Barbarossa. I ended up staying in NA against my better judgement and went on the defensive. Made them fight for everything rather than give up and abandon the territories. The delaying tactic ended up being the better way to go. Certainly would have bought me more time when it comes to the gun to the temple...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:31 AM »
Winter 1941-42:  The 8th Army advances against Rommel and drive the Axis out of Egypt.  The British land in Morocco and are quickly reionforced with the U.S. which have joined the war.  The Soviets counter-attack in Winter and encircle a German army outside of Moscow!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:44 AM »
The winter encirclement was a great/scary move...

brain damaged

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »
The suspense is killing me. Does Moscow fall?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 12:36:03 AM »
Sorry!  Here are the last depressing pics!

Despite the Soviet Winter counter-offensive which stopped the Germans before Leningrad and Moscow, the successful offensive in Egypt to drive the Germans back into Libya and my early Torch which liberated Morocco and Algeria - The Axis won by taking Stalingrad and driving decisively into the Caucusus and taking Baku.  The later triggered the Turks to join the war and gave them another VP in Istanbul.

The result was Axis tallying up 40VPs - forcing the Allies to come to terms and establish a settlement with the Axis. . . Victory goes to John. . .but I am already planning my revenge later this year - I have to be the allies against John again in at least one of our games!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 02:02:20 AM »
That was the southern drive that I expected to see in the last game and it totally evaporated from the pics leaving a great vacuum of action in the south. 

Then again, if the Soviets use enough resources to save Moscow, then the southern areas will probably open to the Axis scourge. 

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
Sure - looking back - the big advantage is that I entered Russia a bit earlier and was able to take a fair amount of space quickly. Then in the Winter/Spring - the Russians took alot of losses reducing the surrounded out of supply German army...

Lesson: Early Barbarossa = immediate max lend lease to Russia  8)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
Yeah - a few lesson learned: 1) Should have maxed out more on lend lease to Russia, 2) Should have been more conservative with the Russians and remained on the Defensive in the North, rather than investing in a counter-offensive, 3) Should have built up the defenses in the South instead and in defending VPs, 4) Put more pressure on the Axis in the West with an early invasion of France to take the heat of the Russians (I squandered my British income in launching an offensive in Egypt rather than sitting tight for a few more turns), 4) Keep a much closer eye on victory points in 1942 and defend them so as to not get myself in a desperate situation so early in the game. . .

Ready for my rematch!  Will we get two games in again over the holidays?  :)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:38 AM »
Hell yeah! 8)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »
c'mon guys don't tease us to death  ;D