Author Topic: JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -  (Read 23806 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:09:43 AM »
JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -

We are having another go at the game on July 5th and 6th  - this time John leads the Axis and I am leading the Allies in what I hope to get me back to 1:1 against John!  Joe and Dillon are joining us to fight it out. . .

Double or nothing, Yoper?    ;)

British_Mike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: JohnCon 2010 II - The Rematch -
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
Mark,

you're betting double or nothing that the Allies can win? Bad bet, man!

I wish you luck though.  My feel - reinforced by the last game - is that the Allied player must ruthlessly stick to their build plan, no matter what the Axis are doing.  Only then can the amphib sets roll off the production lines at the right time to begin their journey to their assembly points by the right dates. For me, the most critical assets are:

- ASW sets = destroyers, bombers
 - Africa set = Australian inf/forts and arty, British tanks, maxed from the outset until the end of 1940.
 - Amphib sets = transports (at least 12 by end 1942), landing craft built throughout war, DD tanks, and a Mulberry on the shelf from 1942 onwards.
 - Airborne sets = must have 1-2 in position by Torch; 3-4 by Husky; 5-6 by Overlord

Air superiority is trickier. I think that a baseline RAF home defence fighter force of 3 Hurricanes and 3 Spits may worthwhile, but it is not essential. Heavy AA and a stronger UK land force would vouchsafe against invasion of Great Britain. As long as there are enough Spits to fill three carriers, I would still argue that strong fighter builds do not need to commence until the latter parts of 1942. American power, mixed with consistent strong Soviet air builds, can easily create the fighter force needed for cross-Channel air supremacy by the end of 1943.

Heavy bombers are so versatile that they are a must from Winter 41/42 onwards, surged early in both the US and UK to have the baseline force available for use at the earliest moment.

Really wish I could be there right now for the rematch ... especially as I am in Baghdad. Heading to arse-end of Anbar tomorrow for a recce. Sleeping bags, bug spray, the lot ...

Cheers

Mike

PS. An idea I heard mentioned was partial secrecy for naval forces. How about being allowed to use a number of fleet markers instead of models, and keeping the models themselves on the fleet cards behind a screen. Maybe two German, two Italian, and four Allied? Worth trying.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:50:03 AM »
Hi Mike!  Hope things are going OK -

I am going to largely stick to your advice as well as what you sent me last week after the game.  I think I am going to try and go a little heavier on British fighter builds - to at least get enough so I can't be bombed indiscriminately in England.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
Yup - It was great having  the builds on track for the last game - (thanks to Mike). I am pretty much a believer after the last game. I must say though - Brian's Axis builds were a bit tougher to deal  with than our last game...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:01:27 PM by John D. »

DeathMachine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:08:43 AM »
Well what happened? I am starting to think that everyone died in battle. No victor to speak of, nobody left to tell the story.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
I lost - can you believe it? ? ?  ::)

. . .and I had him on the ropes up until Spring 1942 too. . . got overconfident, started making mistakes, which were of course quickly seized upon and blew it on the Russian front.

At this rate I will be buying Yoper's plane ticket out to the East Coast. . .

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »
I am sorry to say Mark, but you are "easy money". ;) 

You keep going this way and my children will end up with all their college tuition paid for.  ;D

Actually, your gameplay is a lot like mine.  That is why it pains me so much to hear you trials and tribulation. 

And it is why I bet against you.  Because I would bet against myself! :o

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:28 AM »
Wow... :)

brain damaged

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Where are the pictures?

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:19 AM »
John has confiscated them all! ;D

brain damaged

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
John has confiscated them all! ;D

And apparently went into hiding.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
No Actually - Mark has them all! Marcus - can you post them? :)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »
OK OK, despite my desire to forget about this game. . .By the way, John, when I am back for the Holidays, we are going to have a rematch. . .so plan on that again as well as a big game with everyone.

Anyway. . .back to the game - here are some nice picks at the dawn of the war. . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:34:47 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
John comes out of the gates swinging - declaring war with the Italians in Autumn 1939, wiping out Poland and invading Norway all in turn 1!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
In Winter 1939, the German march into Belgium and redeploy a significant army to Northern Italy.  It looks like the Axis are going to hit France from both Italy as well as Belgium in the Spring - which is going to make things tough. . .

In the Med, the Brits don't waste anytime taking the war to the Italians, with Wavell advancing and taking Tobruk from the fleeing Graziani  ;D