Author Topic: 2010 Advanced Game Playtest  (Read 88621 times)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Advanced Game Playtest
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:56 AM »
More

[attachment deleted by admin]

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 03:57:34 AM »
And finally...

DeathMachine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Hitler is not available for comments, but his trusted second, DeathMachine, is here to comment for the Axis side.

Turn 1: I find out the hard way what the offensive-only re-rolls means. I lost 4 armor and a pzgr to a measly polish force in warsaw. Everyone needs to be very careful about mech moves now. Which is interesting since we have double mech move summers, which we have yet to try out at this time.

Italy declares war. I hope to use the extra production to thwart my enemies in the med. This means that Britain can conquer north africa quickly. But since we see that a viable strategy is to forget about north africa and go fortress italy, I leave the choice up to the allies to show me where I am to place my resources. It also should be easy to send a dummy force to north africa at some point to get upgraded rommel.

Turn 2: Disaster in Norway! Britain easily pushes my fleet back behind the denmark straits and zocs the sea zones around norway. My troops are out of supply with not much hope to come back in supply. Meanwhile Britain itself is almost devoid of troops, some going to norway and to the mainland. John realizes an important thing here. Who cares about defending britain when I can't get my fleet past his all powerful one. The 4 troops in norway make it impossible for me to take it over, especially while out of supply. This is the kind of aggressive tactic that will allow the allies to win. The british fleet shouldn't be hiding out at scapa flow. Bring those carriers in for air support and chase the germans back behind denmark.

France attacks into germany from alsace-lorraine. This really messes up my finances for the next turn. His troops die, but they are french so who cares. John is throwing every last frog against me since he knows they will all die very soon.

Turn 3: Repositioning my air towards denmark. Lesson learned, still won't be enough to protect my fleet enough to get out of the strait but will have to try next turn anyway. I have no choice.

Failed attack into the mountains on the french italian border. Just bad rolls. oh well. I take 2 french territories and put alsace lorraine out of supply. I am in a position to take two open territories next turn, but I am expecting a heavy counterattack by john, most likely with every french troop still in play, even the out of supply ones. I am expecting huge losses on my side to deal with next turn.

Note about initiative. I took initiative on this turn and the last turn. I haven't been able to bomb britain due to having initiative. My preference is just to give up initiative every time, even if I have pressing business. The ability to move your planes last outweighs being pinned I believe.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
OK - here are the next two turns... The allies were able to mount a desperate counter attack that resulted in a few more axis casualties but had little effect on France's fate...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
We did manage to evacuate the Brits - thanks to the short-lived presence of French and Belgian troops...

Admiral Cunningham to the rescue (having a high initiative rating sure comes in handy)

Norway is still holding - but the Axis of a great deal of leverage with all of this airpower. They bombed London to a standstill...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Italy is on the move - the Italian Fleet went head to head against the French battleship - and lost...

Brits lose a battleship to bombers... Leverage is effective.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
More - Balkans are invaded in Autumn- Winter is coming...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
More

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
I think the allies need more air defense and AA in the UK...

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
Well - we couldn't end the game with out determining initiative for the start of the Winter 1940-41 turn. Axis won and drew a "2" - allowing the small German fleet to act before the large allied fleet - what will they do? Flee or boldly interpose themselves to stop the allies from reinforcing the Norwegian Redoubt...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:02 PM »
Go Brian!

Looks like you are in a pretty good position to take out the rest of Norway and cleaning things up in the Balkans. . .Three divisions of paratroopers in Norway - that looks pretty initimidating for Norway and the UK. . ..

The Royal Navy has abandoned the Eastern Med which should allow for some interesting opportunities. . . .

Wow, John, how much British armor do you have in Egypt. . .I don't know if I have ever seen that much there before. . .

Next couple turns should be pretty interesting for sure. . .

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:53 AM »
Sure - I have been maxing armor for the Brits and Commonwealth and focusing on building destroyers and carriers ( I built 2 (one heavy, one light) because the German aces sank one). I am lacking air power for sure. I had to give up on the Med for a bit - can't do it all...

DeathMachine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:26 AM »
Hey I made a huge mistake in the build phase. I put those troops in the 1 box last turn so I actually need those german troops on the board and to spend the excess money. Mike will probably remember that this whole turns build consisted of moving the 1 box to the 0 box, so no troops should have been moved to the 0 box.

Also, We should get printouts of the new rules. Mike, I believe you had a nice version of the new rules that were easy to print out. Am I right?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:20:35 AM by DeathMachine »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
Well- we will certainly fix the builds - that is easy - rules are on the site - under Draft rules...

DeathMachine

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 02:28:43 AM »
Looking for some advice here Mark. What do you think I should do with my lonely cruiser and destroyer? Should I block his transport coming with 3 troops to defend norway or flee like a little b@tch?