Author Topic: Miniature Pics  (Read 22566 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Pics
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
B-25's. The lead bomber is done up in an early war scheme, and was painted by Peter; the rest were done by
me and were among the very first planes I ever painted. The four in back will be naval bombers, painted in
various Pacific schemes. The other two are in a late-war all-metal finish. Note the nose art on them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Peace through superior firepower"

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
Various US fighters, all by Peter. We still have a LOT of these to paint. Peter kind of got bored with panting
these and set them aside to do the Soviets. I see his point - there isn't much variation you can do at this scale.
Note in particular the P-47 at the bottom - you can't really tell, but it's actually a Brazilian fighter, thanks to some
modification of the decals by Peter. My wife was rather pleased with this one (she's from Brazil).

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:08:13 AM by Bobsalt »

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
More of Peter's worlk. First plane is an F$F, leading 4 Devastators, all in pre-war high-visibility paint schemes. Also
 here are three P-40's. One of these is a Chinese Flying Tiger, complete with hand-painted insignia. I'm especially happy with the F4F - this is another one that is modeled on an actual aircraft, and I think Peter did an outstanding
 job on this one.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
More US naval air in 1941-42 schemes, all by Peter.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
Allied bombers. 2 Stirlings, a Lancaster, an early-war B-17, a B-24 in desert scheme, and a Blenhiem. Peter gets
bored painting the same aircraft over and over so he tends to move from one plane to another. Again, I think
he did excellent work on these.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »
Various British aircraft. In the rear are Seafires done by me. All of these are panted in authentic schemes - one
is done with New Zealand insignia. 2 others are done with insignia uses by the Royal Navy in the Pacific. The
insignia were modified to get rid of the red center to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft.

Forward of the Seafires are 4 Beauforts - three in Atlantic schemes and one in New Zealand paint & insignia.

The other 4 fighters are 2 Spitfires, a P-40 in desert scheme, and a P-51B, all done by Peter.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
Me-110s, all done by me in various paint patterns. These look pretty good once you get them painted up
(if I do say so myself), but they are a real pain to paint. The cockpit lines are really bad, and the tails were all
distorted. Painting the canopies required a lot of time (and many do-overs). I still have two left to do - after
that I really wouldn't mind if I never painted another one. We would tell you the same thing about the Bettys
and Lancasters.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:10:31 AM by Bobsalt »

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
Do-217s and Stukas. Each of these is in an authentic scheme (several are actual individual aircraft) except the
red-tailed Stuka, which is intended to be a naval dive bomber in the event anyone ever builds the Graf Zepplin.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »
These are the only Italian ones I've done so far. These have been among my favorites to paint so far. The
 miniatures are very well done with very nice lines. The camouflage pattern was time consuming but not all that
 difficult. I've got 4 more of these to paint. Two will be done up as air transports and two will be done in a
different camo scheme to act as naval bombers.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
Last picture for the night. These are the bf 109s I've done so far. I still have a bunch of these to do. All of
these are historical paint jobs, and several of the aircraft are models of individual aircraft - notably the two
 in desert camo in the front, the green one in the foreground, and the one with the red tail & swastika.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:12:46 AM by Bobsalt »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:44 AM »
Well Bob - that is nothing short of incredible! I am not familiar with all of the paint schemes so those are a pleasure to view. Not to mention educational...

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 04:06:41 AM »
Well Bob - that is nothing short of incredible! I am not familiar with all of the paint schemes so those are a
 pleasure to view. Not to mention educational...
Thanks for the compliment John. I'll pass that along to Peter as well. He may read it himself though - he can
access the board but still does not have member access so he's given up trying to post. I really wish you all
could do something about that - if he could post he would add a lot to the discussions.

We did a lot of research on the paint schemes on the internet, as well as several books I had. We got really
lucky a couple of months ago when I was in the local used bookstore. They had a book that was about 200
pages - all of it full-color plates. The title is "Flying Colors" and it had paint schemes I had never seen before.
What's so nice about this book is that instead of generic patterns it shows specific aircraft that were flown
and lists not just the squadron but in many cases even the name of the pilot who flew it. About half of the
Axis aircraft you see here came directly from that book - all of the A5Ms for example.

Another good source for painting aircraft is Wings Palette (http://wp.scn.ru/en/news). There are a TON of
 drawings on this site. Navigation is a bit difficult and English is obviously this guy's second language, but
it's got probably the largest selection of color drawings you'll find on the web of WWII aircraft. Since the site
is Russian it has a lot of Soviet schemes. Almost all of the Soviet planes were painted up from the data on
this site, and abut half of them represent individual aircraft that flew in the war.

We still have a lot of planes to go - then we'll start on the armor and ships. My wife likes to paint, so she
has already painted all of the US infantry. I'll get some photos of those up soon.

Overall, looking at how long this has taken so far I'd say we still have a couple of years to go...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:14:06 AM by Bobsalt »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »
Did you let Mark know about Pete's issue with becoming a member. I don't handle much with the website...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »
These are the most amazing paint jobs I have seen at this scale. . .Would Peter be up for painting planes for me?

Bob - private message me Peter's email and I'll figure out what went wrong with his registration.

Mark

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
These are the most amazing paint jobs I have seen at this scale. . .Would Peter be up for painting planes for me?

Bob - private message me Peter's email and I'll figure out what went wrong with his registration.

Mark

Well, get his access straightened out and you can ask him yourself.  ;D I sent you a private message on that issue.

As to painting up some planes for you - I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. You'd have to ask Peter yourself if he's interested. My guess is probably not. He's got some things going on in his life right now that probably will limit his free time for the near future.  He comes over one or two nights a week to paint - that's about all the time he can or wants to put into it. Also, all of the stuff we use - the paint, brushes, decals, etc. are mine. He doesn't have any materials so he can't paint them if he's home with nothing to do. He'd have to come over to my house to use my stuff, and if he's going to do that we still have over a hundred aircraft to go, then there's the armor, the ships, etc. still to paint. I estimate at the rate we're going that it would take at least another year or so to get everything in the game painted.

If he (or we) did decide to do some "paint for hire" I'll be blunt - it likely would not be cheap.

Right now we average about 1 plane for every 60 minutes of work. That takes into account the initial clean up and preparation, the actual painting, drying time between applications, and detail work (it doesn't include the priming, lacquering, or researching color photos or plates of the aircraft you're working on). Some go quicker, some go longer - this depends both on just how detailed we're going to be and also on the quality of the miniature itself. The last two nights I've been working on 6 Fw-190s and an He 111. They are each almost ready to lacquer - 2 of the 190's need a couple more details and the 111 hasn't been decaled yet. My point is that's seven aircraft ALMOST ready to be finished off - and it's taken roughly 8 hours of work time to get to that point. Again, slightly less than one plane per hour.

Then there's the cost of the materials. Not just the paint, primer, brushes, etc., but also the decals. The sheets we use from Dom's Decals aren't that expensive individually but when you use as many of them as we are it adds up. We are also using a lot of decal sheets from other scales from a local hobby shop to enhance the detail, and these are rather expensive. The swastikas on the tails of some of the German aircraft I did, for example, are kill marks from a decal sheet for 1:72 scale P-47s and P-51s. 
I think you would find that if you set your mind to it you could probably do some that would be every bit as good as the ones we've done. Before we got started on this my miniatures painting experience consisted of painting about half a dozen each Flames of War vehicles and 1/2400 naval miniatures. Peter had never painted any, though he spent a lot of time building models as a kid. Neither one of us were what you would call experienced when we started on this. The trick is to be patient when you're working and start with something basic. For me, it was the B-25's. They were a good mold with no problems, and the paint schemes I chose were very basic. After painting those I did some Zeros, and gradually started doing more complicated schemes as I became more confident. Try painting a few and I think you'd find that you'd be better at it than you think.

At any rate, you’ve got his e-mail. Drop him a line and see what he says.