Author Topic: Spring 2009 game - John (Axis) versus Mike (Allied)  (Read 35280 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2009 game - John (Axis) versus Mike (Allied)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 02:42:24 AM »
Where are the Spring 42 Pics? ? ? I would like to see this disaster inflicted upon John  ;D

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 02:51:58 AM »
Where are the Spring 42 Pics? ? ? I would like to see this disaster inflicted upon John  ;D
Dude - that's pretty coldhearted...

But I have to admit, also hilarious...

In our group, our favorite comment at the beginning of the game (and especially when we have a new player) is "No one ever fails to take out Poland" or "(fill in the blank) just in case Poland holds out - but of course that never happens..." in tribute to Peter's most (in)famous moment last year.
"Peace through superior firepower"

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
Yeah - everyone really loves to beat on me. I take it as a compliment. 8)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
Spring 42 will be titled "Miracle at Gomel"

You'll see...

Has High Command grossly underestimated Russian infantry's will to fight?  :o :-\ :( >:(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:31:08 PM by John D. »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
Here is the Spring 1942 summary - after about a month's break. . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

British_Mike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 06:33:06 AM »
Here is Summer 42. A turn where both sides took stock in Russia and where the Axis heavily reinforced North Africa.

Cheers

Mike

British_Mike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
And the Autumn 42 turn report, John outflanks me in North Africa and bounces off my defences again in Russia,

Cheers

Mike

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
Great summaries, Mike - when this thing is all over I think we should print out all these pdfs to make into one package outlining the war!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
Playing at this pace allows for one really feel the grind over time. It is no longer just a game, but a way of life. I think I have, on several occasions, witnessed Mike writing out orders to imaginary generals. I don't think he has any time to fit work in. ;)
Now that is a game!

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 02:01:11 AM »
Playing at this pace allows for one really feel the grind over time. It is no longer just a game, but a way of life. I think I have, on several occasions, witnessed Mike writing out orders to imaginary generals. I don't think he has any time to fit work in. ;)
Now that is a game!
Something I would love to do with this game is to have two teams playing double-blind. There would be one big map that the referee would control and then each side would also have a map. Each side would be in separate rooms and wouldn't be able to see the main map. They would send movement and combat orders to the referee, who would roll the dice and inform each side of the results. Neither side would ever be sure exactly what was in front of them. I'm not sure if it would work - but I love the idea of doing it.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
We have a friend that created a double blind for the new A and A game - It is ALOT of fun. Scout planes and all!

Double blind for this game would be amazing...

British_Mike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
"Double blind for this game would be amazing... "

Yeah, amazingly LONG!! :-)

I think the initiative system and the sheer complexity of the game already creates a lot of space for strategic and tactical surprise. Plus I think both sides had fairly good insight into force levels in the historical reality through SIGINT etc, particularly where forces were adjacent.

But here are two simple mechanisms that could be adopted to add uncertainty to the game:

1) Introduce dummy markers. Each side (Western / Sov / Axis) can have 10. They look like the normal Grey and Red markers, but they have an "X" on the underside. This allows one to create Patton's phantom First US Army Group, in theory.

2) Cover the Build tables and the strategic redeployment. Advanced players with time on their hands could allow each other 1-2 specific questions each nation each turn ("how many tanks are in the "1" box of your US build table?")

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:31:30 AM by British_Mike »

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »
Yes, it would be really long. Sometimes I forget that I’m not 22 years old anymore with all the time in the world for gaming… Still, I can’t help but think how much fun it would be.

The idea of having dummy chips is a good one. That reminds me – John/Mark  - where do you get the chips for this game? Going to various stores all I can find are full-sized poker chips. I already raided my old A&A game, but find myself still needing more of the white one.

We’ve already discussed making the construction tables secret – I think this is something that we’re eventually going to do.

I think it would also be a good idea to have a gearing limit like they have in WiF. I always thought that was one of the more realistic things in that game. You couldn’t just say “whoops – I’m going to need some armor – I better build some. We don’t have much of an issue with this for things like armor and aircraft, but it happens a lot with infantry. You might see someone build 2 one turn, 8 the next, back to 2, etc. In real life you couldn’t just hop from producing one item to producing another item - switching from building a lot of one item to a lot of another item would require a lot of retooling and down time.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 05:39:24 AM »
I ordered from this site not too long ago for some white and some black.  It looks like they don't have any black right now. 

http://www.unclesgames.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=mini+poker+chips&search_in_description=1&osCsid=323e554083d6bd946c07de4eb32a0bef&x=11&y=18