Author Topic: US convoy damage  (Read 4487 times)

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
US convoy damage
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »
Hi, I don´t seem to find an answer so here I go:
Is all the US mainland economy (considered production centers - 94 PP) safe from convoy damage or only the 3 on-map areas which total 45 PP?

cheers

Daniel
You´ll never walk alone

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: US convoy damage
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Hello Daniel,

The production centers are not safe from convoy damage.

You can do up to 45 PP of damage to the US.

John
     T

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »
Hi John, I think I am confused  :-[. Page 26 says first that "convoy damage cannot exceed the PP value of production centers". For Japan, I interpret this as max 8 PP of damage. And that would be like your post about USA, max 45 PP = the value of on-map prod center areas.

Then in the example below, it says that Japan cannot be reduced below the 8 PP of production centers. This I interpret as Japan will always have 8 PP (unless it get bombed or loses production areas). To me that becomes contradictory statements. First it is mentioned how much damage you can do and in the example how much you can´t do convoy damage.

For example, Japan have an area income of 25 PP. In the rule case Japan will have at least 25-8=17 PP (unless losing areas or bombed) and in example case at least 8 PP.

I am a foreigner so I guess I have misunderstood something here. Hope you can help me. Another thing is that the US east coast convoy zone has a max damage of 50 PP. Why so if the total possible damage to US would be 45? I hope I doesn´t sound critical, only curious.

cheers
Daniel
You´ll never walk alone

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
The rule may not be written clearly with respect to this topic - so sorry for any confusion sleipner.  If I recall correctly, the convoy max damage was something that was added in later stages of playtesting because players felt like the UK and Japan should still be able to build somthing - even if they were getting torpedoed to pieces.

so, the intent was to say that the UK and Japan can't get torpedoed for more points than their home country production centers are worth.  So - no matter how much submarine damage was inflicted upon Japan - japan would still be able to build 8 PP worth of stuff.  (Of course, US bombers could further reduce that by bombing the home islands).  The same goes for the UK - no matter how many u-boat damage was done to the UK, the UK should still be able to biuld the UK production center's income (reducing that would be the job of the Luftwaffe).

So, again not worded well, but the intent of this convoy damage max rule really only applies to Japan and the UK. The US can still be torpedoed up to the max that their convoy centers can absorb on the map.

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
Ok. thanks!!
You´ll never walk alone