Author Topic: Russia  (Read 6523 times)

Uncle Joe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Russia
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:40:32 PM »
So, What is a good strategy for the Soviet Union?

JS

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Russia
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 12:32:29 PM »
Russia can be tough - but I think is one of the most fun theaters to play.
Out of the gates the Russians need to build 2 factories followed by two more factories.  Other builds up to war with Germany I would suggest would be infantry, fortifications, AT guns and when you can afford it: aa guns, fighters and artillery. I really think Artillery is a good buy for the Russians - a '3' both on the offense and the defense - and you need some offensive power for counter attacks when you need to.

Unless the Germans are doing something wacky (see posts from John), as Russia, you are pretty much hanging on for dear life until 1942 - maybe even 1943 if your Western Allies are not going on the offensive somewhere.  So don't squander your resources.  Pray Turkey does not join the Axis, or a bad situation gets worse.

I don't think you can really go too much on the offensive until the Western Allies relieve some of the pressure somewhere - take advantage of any German mistakes until then.  Others probably have additional thoughts. . .

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:50:01 PM »
How about an major build up of the majority of your forces defending the south. You may force the Germans to address this build up because you could threaten Romania. This may only serve as more of a delay tactic, but isn't that what you want?

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
As with the real war and many strategic board games covering WWII, the BIG critical battle(s) will be between the land & air forces of the Axis and the Russians. It's not that the other battles are not as important, because they are important and they do play major roles, it's simply because of the timing to supply and resupply the Russians. If the Russians lose more pieces than the Germans 2 or 3 major battles in a row then the Allies will lose. The attrition rate has to be in favor of the Russians and the replacements must exceed the number of the German replacements put on the board. So, for strategy, it's bide your time & counterattack when the odds are in your favor.