Author Topic: Naval AA and Adjacent Air Support  (Read 5218 times)

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
Naval AA and Adjacent Air Support
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:44 AM »
These questions have come up with our group of gamers and am unfortunately unable to find answers.

1.  Since air units can only be fired at one time, does that mean, say a battleship with 2AA fires only once (rolls one dice), or does it mean that the battleship fires twice (rolls two dice)?  Either way, the plane is only fired at one time, but the BB's AA is limited in the first instance.  And,

2.  If an area is attacked, the defenders air units from adjacent areas may support the defense.  However, if there is another attack in an area close to the previous one attacked, can the defender use air units in range from adjacent areas in support of that attack, even though they were used in a previous battle?

Opinions and Rulings are welcome.  Thank you.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Naval AA and Adjacent Air Support
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:23:38 AM »
These questions have come up with our group of gamers and am unfortunately unable to find answers.

1.  Since air units can only be fired at one time, does that mean, say a battleship with 2AA fires only once (rolls one dice), or does it mean that the battleship fires twice (rolls two dice)?  Either way, the plane is only fired at one time, but the BB's AA is limited in the first instance. 

Naval AA Fire (Pg 23)
Surface combat naval units (destroyers, cruisers and battleships) as well as aircraft carriers act as intrinsic AA guns during combat. As opposed to three AA shots for ground based AA guns and 88s, destroyers get only one AA shot, while each cruiser, battleship and aircraft carrier get up to two AA shots each. Each attacking air unit may only be shot at once by anti-aircraft, regardless of the number of AA shots a fleet has. The owner of the naval units selects the planes they will be firing at with their AA gun rolls. The owner of the naval units may use his AA guns to fire at any of the attacking planes, whether they are attacking a surface combat ship or a non-combat ship in the same sea zone. A "1" scores a hit on the attacking bomber and eliminates it before air to naval combat commences.

I would think that this makes it pretty clear as to what should happen.

If you have one plane attacking, the defender rolls one die. 

2.  If an area is attacked, the defenders air units from adjacent areas may support the defense.  However, if there is another attack in an area close to the previous one attacked, can the defender use air units in range from adjacent areas in support of that attack, even though they were used in a previous battle?

(Pg 17)
Planes may only fly defensive air support once per combat phase. They may NOT fly into one territory, help in its defensive and then fly into another adjacent attacked space and aid in its defense as well. If multiple adjacent territories as well as the territory the air unit is in are all attacked, the defender has to choose which territory to allocate his plane for defensive air support. The defender may, if he wishes, disperse his planes to multiple adjacent battles if he has multiple planes.

Each defending air unit can only respond to one battle, not multiple battles.

Opinions and Rulings are welcome.  Thank you.

We badgered Mark and John enough to get them to clarify things like this in the rules.  Make sure you have the latest version, which is available for downloading here on the forum.

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=105.msg1506#msg1506

Craig

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:55 AM »
Thanks Craig.  I must be suffering from "part-timers" as I could not put my finger on the right paragraph, page, or section.  I do have the most recent set of rules, though.  Thanks for the reminder.

I'm thinking of putting an index together for the rules to help those "afflicted" as I am.  Of course, if I would sit down, open the rule book, and actually look more closely, I think I can do almost as good a job as you.  Thanks again.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
Thanks Craig!

Craig and his gaming group really helped scrub the rules with us to help make sure most things are addressed - it was a great help to clear up lots of ambiguous rules.  Now, perhaps it is a matter of organizing the rules a bit better - It would be great to have an index to make things like this easier to find

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:12:23 AM »
Thanks Craig!

Craig and his gaming group really helped scrub the rules with us to help make sure most things are addressed - it was a great help to clear up lots of ambiguous rules.  Now, perhaps it is a matter of organizing the rules a bit better - It would be great to have an index to make things like this easier to find

I should ask Dan to do this.  He is a great one for the creating and using of an index.

Craig