Author Topic: Airbase question  (Read 5017 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Airbase question
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:45:51 AM »
Since my friend Peter is still having no success in getting added to the forum, I’m posting his question for him. We are now using the airbase rules in our games, and we have a question as to how airbase attacks are supposed to work. The first paragraph of the airbase rules reads:

“Air units may now conduct special attacks against enemy air units. On the movement phase, the attacker may fly air units to territories containing enemy air units and conduct an airbase attack. Each attacking fighter “pins” a defending plane from being able to react and fly defensive air support in the same or an adjacent space. Excess defending air units that are not “pinned” are allowed to fly defensive air support mission normally.”

Peter has interpreted this to mean that you can attack an airbase and thus prevent any defending planes (at least, up to the number of planes you have attacking the airbase) from reacting. Our other player, Jason, interprets this to mean that when you attack an airbase the defending planes are forced to either do combat with the attackers or try to retreat (after combat). I’ve been going back and forth as to which interpretation I think is correct. It seems to me based on the strict wording of the paragraph that defending air is not required to react (fight); on the other hand, it seems illogical that units being attacked would not be required to give combat.

The next question is whether or not defending aircraft can participate in combat in the first round, and then retreat before the next round. I think the third paragraph of this section makes it fairly clear that they can, but, again, this is being disputed.

I’m hoping that Peter’s interpretation is correct, and that the intent of the rule is only to prevent defending planes from reacting, not to force them into combat. We’ve played using Jason’s interpretation the last couple of games and I can tell you that forcing defending planes to do combat has a huge impact on game balance. Germany starts with a numerical advantage in aircraft, and with aggressive aircraft builds is always ahead of Britain. Britain can’t even adequately defend the Channel because if he deploys in London he gets hit with 8 or 9 fighters in an airbase attack. I realize that Germany had a larger air force at the start of the war than Britain or France, but they didn’t outnumber either of them by 5 to 1 in fighters as is the case in the game (historically, England and France combined had more fighters than Germany). In addition, approximately 25% of German fighters in 1940 were Me 110’s, which were almost useless against British single-engine fighters; the game does not account for this qualitative difference. I completely understand why France has been nerfed from its historical strength – you have to be able to account for Germany’s superior tactics (difficult to do in a strategic game), and if France is too tough you don’t have a game. However, I can tell you from our last couple of games that if Jason’s interpretation is the correct one the game is going to require a couple of tweaks.
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Airbase question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
The way we play it is it forces combat.

If Germany masses their fighters in Northern France, the the RAF is best to redeploy to Central England (in range or providing air support over London, but out of range of airbase attacks).

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:24:16 AM »
Please have Pete re-register - I have not seen his name on the pending registration list since he had the initial problem.

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:51 AM »
I understand that England can deploy their fighters out of range of German fighters on the coast, but that doesn’t address the fact that it creates an unhistorical situation. Having Germany start out with a 5 to 1 advantage in fighters over England and on top of that not have to deal with the fact that historically 25% of their fighters were technologically inferior seems from my experience to create a play balance problem when the airbase rules are used (at least, early in the war). If Germany were required to build and maintain 25% of their fighter force as early war fighters as they did historically (fighter strength available to Germany June 30, 1940 – 1107 single-engine fighters (Me 109’s) & 357 twin-engine fighters (Me 110’s) it wouldn’t be so bad. It seems to me that Britain should have at least one, and possibly two fighters added to their force pool, perhaps with the caveat that these extra fighters can’t leave Britain until France has fallen (they are committed to defending the British Isles). I would really like to know what rules any of you are using to add Me 110’s to the game.

Meanwhile, I do have another question about airbases. Last night Peter made an airbase attack against me in a territory that also contained 2 AA guns. Do the AA guns get a shot at attacking aircraft in an airbase attack? This point is not addressed in the airbase rules. Also, if they do get a shot, does that occur before or after air-to-air combat? We played that the AA guns get to fire, basing that on the fact that except for bombers returning from a strategic bombing raid AA guns get to fire any time a plane flies over them, and said that the AA occurs after air-to-air as a result of a die roll to decide the timing.
"Peace through superior firepower"

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:34:27 AM »
So Airbase attacks are essentially a forced Air to Air battle so there is no AA fire. After the first round of battle, either side can retreat.

A quick note: The French and Brit builds can easily catch up to German Air numbers. The Brits can build 4 ftrs plus a early war fighter while the French can build 1. That can even things out fairly quickly.

If the German build max ftrs, they are not building something else. Anyways - if they have numerical superiority because of a build focus - that is ok. That is a player's preference. The Brits may have to play catch up and not get themselve into a situation where they are losing fighters too fast. The Brits may have to exercise a bit of patience while they take it on the chin for a few turns. Eventually when Russia and the US join the Axis can not hope to keep up with Fighter builds. I have tried this strategy when playtesting Germany then countered it when playing the UK. Different situations are going to require a different approach. Players are going to try "unhistorical" approaches and that is ok - as long as it does not break the game.

John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:30:44 PM by John D. »

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »
We played with and came up with many of the optional rules, but we never liked this one. :P

Then again, that is why it is an optional rule.  You can pick and choose as you see fit and it lends the spice that you are looking for. :)

Craig