Author Topic: Revised Air Units/Change in the USSR Entry Chart Playtest  (Read 4597 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Revised Air Units/Change in the USSR Entry Chart Playtest
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:57:33 AM »
Hey guys,
I have set the game in the basement and will be playing through some ideas that I have.

While we played at Origins last year with my change of air unit values and extra naval air units, I am think that it was too much of a change.  Especially for the European Axis and the air coverage in the Med.

I am going to play with a scaled back idea that gives a naval air unit to the Japanese and USA, comparable to the ground tac unit that the Germans and USSR have, and makes all other regular fighters a (2) against naval units.

The UK swordfish will work the same way now and there won't be any restriction on the use of a fighter on a UK carrier time wise.  The main issue here will be the fact the you will have to choose between attack power against ships and air-to-air capability.

I will put forth the full air unit chart later.

I am also looking to change a few of the conditions on the USSR Entry Chart. 

Specifically, reducing the effect of the USSR placement of the first Medium Armor and first regular fighter to draw (1) card each. 

Also, I am going to remove the draw (1) card for maintaining the minimum garrison condition since this situation is already addressed by the condition of the player not drawing any cards if they don't have the garrison in place.

This seemed like a "double-whammy" condition.  The fact that they stop drawing any card if they aren't in compliance should be enough of an incentive to have the garrison.  They shouldn't then get rewarded with a card draw for maintaining the garrisons.

We shall see how it plays out.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Revised Air Units/Change in the USSR Entry Chart Playtest
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:42:00 AM »
Sounds great, Yoper!

We have been playtesting a similar naval attack air and fighter units values lately as well - so you have naval attack planes that are great against ships, but bad in air to air and fighters, which are bad against ships but good in air to air.

The only nationalities that really need new units are the US and the Japanese, I think - like a Duantless dive bomber piece for the US and a Kate torpedo bomber for the Japanese or something. . .

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Revised Air Units/Change in the USSR Entry Chart Playtest
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »
Sounds great, Yoper!

We have been playtesting a similar naval attack air and fighter units values lately as well - so you have naval attack planes that are great against ships, but bad in air to air and fighters, which are bad against ships but good in air to air.

The only nationalities that really need new units are the US and the Japanese, I think - like a Duantless dive bomber piece for the US and a Kate torpedo bomber for the Japanese or something. . .

Agreed.  In the '39 scenario set up, I added two Japanese naval tac units (one to each fleet carrier) and one US naval tac to the West Coast USA fleet carrier.

We will see how it plays out.

Craig