Author Topic: shore bombardment  (Read 4991 times)

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
shore bombardment
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »
Hi all. We have been able to play several games this winter, usually with me as the allied player and often I seem to be able to stop the Axis from taking France or at least postpone itīs fall long enough to be able to win the first time victory points are checked. Since I have more experience then my opponents I still hope that with more games played, the other players should be able to knock France out quicker so a longer, more enjoyable game can be played. I donīt know if I do something special with the allies (guard London, the convoy areas, Cairo and then everything else to France when playing the Brits) except perhaps massive shore bombardment.
   I wonder what you more experienced player have to say about it? I feel that it gets a little to powerful maybe? I donīt see any reason for the allied player not to do a massive attack at either Belgium,  Netherlands, Ruhr or Denmark in some of the first turns just to sabotage the germans. Is it not to cheap/easy to invade with 1 inf and maybe some more over land and then use most of the combined British/French fleets to shore bombard? You get a LOT of dices to throw without risking much of casualties. And you really should use/risk the French fleet as much as possible before they surrender. Even the risk of a german attack on the fleet with Luftwaffe seems worth it if you somehow stop/reduce their advance into France. The allies have a couple of aircraft to reduce the attack and of course withdraws after the first bombing run. Plus the effect of having lured the Luftwaffe from the urgent land battle make it attractive.
    Soooooo, what do you say?

Daniel
YouÂīll never walk alone

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: shore bombardment
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
If the German player puts a smaller force on the coast and uses all of Italy's resources on the southern border it may be a closer game. Also - Germany can build paratroopers and transports to threaten London. I would have to see in detail what is going on to comment further...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Well - here are some ideas. . .

If the Germans are having a problem with France - they may try to hit Belgium in Winter and ignore Denmark and Holland for the time being.  Rail your armor on the Winter turn to the Ruhr and then friendly mech move it into Belgium.  This way you can strike for Paris if you want in the Spring.  Keep the bunker and maybe add another in the Ruhr as they can absorb the shore bombardment hits and bounce back after you kill the Brit infantry unit that lands.  Maybe park a destroyer off of the Ruhr so your planes can react defensively to a British fleet moving in and sink the transports on the defensive turn and save your planes for offense in France.  Throw all your Italians in Milan and if the French disrespect you attack Southern France with them - or at least keep a decent French force committed to defend against the Italians.

These are perhaps some of the things to try. . .Dificult to advise without seeing how things are playing out - maybe take some pics of the first few turns and share online.

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
shore bombardment

the only ships that get to bombard is the one being supported by the lone attacking infantry

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:50:58 AM »
Correct