Author Topic: Deluxe Game Review  (Read 8145 times)

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://advancedaxisandallies.com/
Deluxe Game Review
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:20:23 AM »
I have decided to write a review of the arrival of what i understand is the first game (complete) that was shipped yesterday. The package came in two huge boxes (one long box and a shorter rectangle sized box). I opened the "map" box first and noticed a long white tube in the center of alot of brown paper. The method of packaging cannot have been done better! Everything was totally perfect in every respect. The map is very colorful and the quality of the resolution if top notch. It is made of some type of plastic sheet that can be rolled up but not have any tendancy to roll back up as it was packaged. The second box containing all the "goodies" was also packed to perfection. It included a huge bag of plastic red and white chips and two bundles of stock play money to use for income distribution.
     A large plastic evelope was provided containing all the player aids and ruleset along with a parts list of where the pieces come from and their part number information so you can order more if you like. The player aids are printed on high quality cardstock and again in high quality prints. The ruleset id also inside a plastic cover to protect it from greasy fingers.
     The best part was the many white boxes of awesome pieces! Any piece junky like myself would be proud to own these high quality pieces. I had never known about skytrex miniatures , however i do own many bags of old glory miniatures which are cast from the same molds as the skytrex soldiers. Each of these white boxes had their own plastic container with a logo of the nation on top and filled to the brim with tons of tanks, artillery, planes, ships etc..
    The important difference with skytrex miniatures is the turrets on every gun is nice and thick so the barrels dont droop like GHQ and C and C. This is very good when your gaming them with clumsey people who handle things too rough. In fact the Americans and Germans each need two full boxes in order to accomodate the quantity of pieces. Now i havent yet figured out the rules nor have i played a game, but i wanted to comment on the value that you recieve when you spend $1,015.00. You are getting much more in return on your investment then if you ordered or made your own set from scratch. I too know how much the printers charge for printing a 8x3 foot map . I even checked uot the prices from the skytrex site and they are consistent with what YOUR paying for them, except they are allready painted and come complete with nice wooden bases to keep the pieces nice and sturdy. Id place the value on the whole thing at about $1,450.00. One thing i forgot to mention was their was no dice included with the game and a few of the pieces (around 30)  lost their bases but i had glue handy so it was easy to fix. I forgot to mention that each piece box had a cushion on the bottom and a neat blue pad so when you play you can lay all the pieces on this felt so you know where everything is. I suggest everybody get one of these games as they got my stamp of approval to be sure.

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:07:46 PM »
Hello Imperious,
     I will be forwarding 24 d6 when our dice shipment arrives. This way you have 12 d6 for each theater for battles that are taking place simultaneously around the world. We recommend using Zap a gap for any gluing needed. We used testors on some units and they did not hold too well...

I am glad everything arrived to your liking but wait till you play!

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://advancedaxisandallies.com/
Re: Deluxe Game Review
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »
I plan on making a order for additional pieces (unpainted). Mostly artillery and tanks, bit also a few more ships. I love those v-1 rockets!
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Game Review
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 02:03:36 PM »
OK - so the map and pieces are nice - true. . .Wait till you play the game!

You going to be ready for GenCon? Any questions on the rules?

I hope you get to use those v-1 rockets.  They are a fun little piece - like the German merchant raider piece - just fun to use!

cheers,
Mark