Author Topic: Naval movement  (Read 16543 times)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Naval movement
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
I have a few rules question about strategic movement for naval units. On page 15 the rules state, “The aircraft carrier moves before the air unit moves during the movement phase.”

Although this is listed under tactical movement, it appears that the intent of the rule is that CV’s must make their movement before aircraft - I assume this would also apply to strategic movement as well? In other words, I assume a plane could not strategically redeploy to an aircraft carrier, and then the aircraft carrier itself then also strategically redeploy (carrying the aforementioned plane).

In the above example, could a plane strategically redeploy to a carrier and then the carrier use tactical movement? Again, my assumption is that the answer is “no”, citing the rule from page 15 listed above.

Can a plane use strategic movement to redeploy to a CV, say, 8 zones away? I assume yes (subject to the limitation of no combat); that in this case a CV deck is treated the same as a land territory.
"Peace through superior firepower"

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Naval movement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:44:58 AM »
Hi Bob - Your assumptions are correct on all counts:

Although this is listed under tactical movement, it appears that the intent of the rule is that CV’s must make their movement before aircraft - I assume this would also apply to strategic movement as well? In other words, I assume a plane could not strategically redeploy to an aircraft carrier, and then the aircraft carrier itself then also strategically redeploy (carrying the aforementioned plane).

YES - This is correct

In the above example, could a plane strategically redeploy to a carrier and then the carrier use tactical movement? Again, my assumption is that the answer is “no”, citing the rule from page 15 listed above.

NO - this would not be allowed

Can a plane use strategic movement to redeploy to a CV, say, 8 zones away? I assume yes (subject to the limitation of no combat); that in this case a CV deck is treated the same as a land territory.

YES - you will be doing a lot of this in the Pacific to replenish combat losses.  Actually, what I have witnessed happen most often is that players will strategically redeploy their fighters to islands and then move them on to the empty carrier decks on the mech movement phase to replenish their battle casualties.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
RE: Control of naval areas and Soviet Naval Units?

Suppose a lone enemy transport in a space, do I get to place a control marker in the space he moment I move a surface combat unit in?

Could I invade with the transport there?  If I have not eliminated it in combat?

Also, could soviet naval units move through Japanese controlled waters while the Soviet Union and Japan are not at war?  Could they use Strategic movement?

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:31:40 AM »
Also, could Soviet and japanese Naval units (Surface Combat, Transports) coexist in a sea area when the Soviets and japan are not at war?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:51:53 AM »
RE: Control of naval areas and Soviet Naval Units?

Suppose a lone enemy transport in a space, do I get to place a control marker in the space he moment I move a surface combat unit in?

Could I invade with the transport there?  If I have not eliminated it in combat?

Also, could soviet naval units move through Japanese controlled waters while the Soviet Union and Japan are not at war?  Could they use Strategic movement?

Surface ships with a combat value can only control sea zones. Yes you can just ignore transports. They do not block or control sea zones. Neutrals can co exist with other ships and move about strategically.

John  :)

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
OK.  Thanks.

Actually P. 14 in the rules says control of a sea zone changes once you move in, but I was still unlear about the situation w/ Sov/Jap.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »
The Philipines are listed as a straight under land movement, but not naval movement.

Can naval units move through the phillipines straight?

And

Can they do so regardless of who controls the Philipine land territories?

Do the same rules apply to other straights that are not listed under naval movement?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:24 AM »
Ships may only move through straights if both land territories are owned by their side - this includes the Philippines and any other straights on the map.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
OK.  It does not actually say that in the rules.  Under Naval Movement certain straights are listed and the Phillipines is not one of them.

So for straights not listed in the naval rules one must control both land areas to move naval units through the straight?

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:59:20 AM »
Additional question re: straights.

Can air units fly through straights?

Can carriers on one side of the phillipine straights add their air units on defense to a battle on the other side of the straights?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
Yes and yes

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
OK.  Thanks.

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
Naval movement again.

If a naval combat between surfave ships is fought to mutual annihilation, who now controls the space?  The guys who moved in, or the guys who were not moving?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »
Whoever controlled it to begin with. If it was not previously controlled - then it is still not controlled...

smckenzie

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
OK.  Thanks.