Author Topic: moving infantry on production chart  (Read 5439 times)

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
moving infantry on production chart
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »
I have read multiple comments about how long it really took to train and equip infantry and players build 2 this turn, 8 the next, and then 4 on the next etc. etc..
To be more historic:
I propose that the infantry start in the 1 box for 2 and move to the 0 box for 1, that keeps the cost of 3 but takes 2 turns to produce, or start in the 2 box for 1, move to the 1 box for 1 and finally to the 0 box for 1. This would probably cause the build limits on infantry to increase or mabe double.

Another option - If not at war, then 2 (2,1) or 3 (1,1,1) turns to produce infantry. Then they have the option of fast production in the 2 box.
Comments
ken

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: moving infantry on production chart
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:48:44 AM »
I did some internet searches, and the training time for US army was 13 weeks. That means from the time of enlistmemt to embarkation it was within 6 months (2 turns). This was in time of war, before the war, I read it was 17 weeks for basic training plus enlistment time and before stationing leave, this makes it about 7-9 months (3 turns) The question is are 3 turn infantry better than 2 turn infantry. The answer is probably - yes, but where do you represent this in the game, better attack or better defense or both (I lean to both). This could make more choices on the type of infantry to build and production line time frames. Then the question of fast production for infantry (my initial response is not available for infantry).

Thoughts/Comments
Ken

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
A thought - only the US have 3 turn infantry (marines)

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »
I don't think I'd mess with the production times of infantry. If the 13- and 17-week time frames you listed are correct then it's true that an infantry unit took a little longer than a game turn to produce. But keep in mind - usually it takes another turn to get a produced infantry to where you want it. That means that an infantry that you build, say, in spring of 1942 won't actually be used in combat before fall of 1942 - a period of 6 months. In real life that infantry that took 17 weeks to "produce" only took another couple of weeks to be redeployed to England. If you start to require infantry to take two or three turns to produce I think you're going to find yourself facing some real play balance issues.

I think the production of most of the units in the game is about right as it is. The exception to that would be ships. I've thought about doubling the production times of all the ships but keeping the costs the same. In real life you couldn't build a CV or BB in a year.
"Peace through superior firepower"

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
I agree with you on the ships - these numbers are US only

The destroyers were built in about 6 mths, the cruisers were built in about 14 mths, the aircraft carriers were built in about 12 mths and the battle ships about 26 mths. The focus became Destroyers and Aircraft carriers instead of Cruisers and Battleships after being shown the power of the AC at Pearl.

qxxx

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34:12 AM »
I forgot to add the light carriers, about 11-14 mths depending on how far along the cruiser hull was in production. The Saipan class of cvl took about 12 mths.

ken