Author Topic: Some Concept Tests  (Read 37015 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Some Concept Tests
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:13:37 PM »
Some key combat ideas that I am toying with include the idea of limited front line units.  One thing I do not like about the standard A&A system is the advantage of massive stacks that cause massive casualties – unlike simulations in strategic hex-based games that limit stacking limits.

I have been thinking for a while now on a better way to do a strategic simulation of WW2 battles in an area game.  One solution was to limit the number of “front-line” units allowed to participate in a round of combat.  Remaining units in the territory are “in-reserve”.  Casualties inflicted by each side must be taken off of front line units and only front line units get to fire in a given round.

This added some interesting thinking for a battle:  Do I commit my stronger units in order to inflict more casualties – but then have to take my casualties off of my more expensive units?  Is it better to have a mix of string and weak front line units in order to inflict and accept a more optimum mix of casualties?

The other advantage this combat system allowed was for “forced retreats”  i.e. if all of your front line units get wiped out in a given round – you have to retreat.

This system also opened up other interesting ideas – like: how do units move from reserve to front line status every combat round?  Answering that question helped me implement another idea that I have wanted to do for a while: add leaders to the game.

Good leaders would be able to move more units from reserve status to front line status every combat round. Poorer leaders would be able to move reserves and reinforce a battle less effectively.

So – this is one of the game ideas we have been playtesting (among others and lots of good suggestions folks have contributed over the last several years). 

I’ll share some pics of playtesting shortly

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Some Concept Tests
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
Yeah :) another cool feature i missed somehow.

Nice Mark

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
Picture from a recent playtest:

Note another innovation - we mounted the miniatures on bases that we printed out their combat value and unit type symbols on.

You can see a mock up of leaders with various leadership command values as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:12:39 AM by Mark »

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
O.O WoW what a Map!!!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:16:34 AM »
Yeah - this is fun also!  8)

John

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
That map looks REALLY good. I'll have to try and make it to Gen Con next summer so I can see it up close.

BTW - what are your criteria for becoming a playtester? Myself and two friends (and maybe as many as three more) are now pretty much playing the game at least one night a week (every Wed. night and sometimes Tues or Thurs as well). With us meeting so regularly, we might be able to get in enough play to properly test out new concepts, whether for the current game or this new monster.
"Peace through superior firepower"

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 03:47:16 AM »
Or you could just pester Mark and John with ideas and comments until they crumble under the weight of your onslaught! ;)

Just like Mark crumbled under the crushing might of Dan's Russian hordes or John did under the overwhelming might of Eric's American military. ;D

Aaaahhhh, the memories of riding my allies coattails to victory are so sweet! 8)

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=212.msg2214#msg2214

Craig
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:28:02 PM by Yoper »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:01:09 AM »
C'mon. You must have been impressed that I was using empty carriers as a blockade to stall the inevitable advance of the US navy and the eventual occupation of Japan. Does it get anymore desperate than that?

I think not.

Then again - I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on with Mark's Germany...

:o

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
.....Then again - I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on with Mark's Germany...

:o

That sounds like a good defense mechanism when being Mark's partner! ;)

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »
I see we are talking trash already. . . it is like 6 months until Origins! 
Just because I took it easy on you guys our first few games. . . . ;D

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Actually - what I meant by that statement was that I was not sure if things were MORE desperate on the European side!

But I could use it as a defense mechanism as well.. ;)

thenorthman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:32:57 AM »
Yes the new map of what I can see looks pretty sharp.

Sean

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »
Can you give us more pictures of this new map Mark ?  ;)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Will get some posted this weekend - we are having a go at it this Saturday and I will be sure to bring my digital camera!

Mark

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »
I couldn't help but notice that the pics didn't make it to the web site. 
--NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!  ;D

I was just wondering if you (Mark or John) could just share/tell us what the new map involves and what makes it different.  Do you mind?  :'(

Thanks.  8)