Author Topic: GenCon  (Read 16920 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
GenCon
« on: September 02, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »
Finally getting around to some GenCon after action reports. . . We played three games over the weekend. 

Game 1 went to the Axis in the Winter of 44 - the Allies just could not push them back fast enough and an armistice was signed.

Game 2 was a very close one - the Germans beat up the Russians, the Brits beat up the Italians and the Japanese shot out of the gates strong.  It looked like it would go Axis as well, but weight of numbers slid against the Axis in the end and they surrendered in Autumn of 44.

It does not get any closer than game 3 - which went all the way to Autumn 45 with American Pershings and German Tigers slugging it out in the streets of Berlin.  When the dust settled, old glory was waiving over the Reichstag. 

Here are some game shots - sorry I only took a few pictures.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 11:06:21 AM »
Taken by Dave, this shot is a little grainy - but was taken shortly after the Fall of France in 1940.  'Tiny', the Russian player, on the left, looks a little more nervous than he did a turn ago when there were still a bunch of French on the board. . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 11:10:47 AM »
This was Thursday's game.  The Schliefen plan paid off with the German's bypassing Holland alltogether and marching into Belgium and France and into the Maginot line.  Given a 50-50 chance of surrendering, the French of course did, leaving the BEF all alone on the continent. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:15:38 AM »
The Germans invaded Norway in the Summer of 1940 and reinforced it with more infantry in the Autumn of 1940 to deal with those pesky British who landed an expeditionary force at Narvik.  I don't think that poor German transport is going to make it back to Germany with that horde of British fighters after it. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »
Autumn 1941.  The battles on the Soviet frontier were bloody, but the Red Army was devastated - at least it took down a lot of Germans with it.  While Army Groups North and Center await reinforcements, Army Group South is making a dash for Rostov and has even got a panzer unit in sight of Stalingrad. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 11:32:07 AM »
This one is from Saturday's game.  The Italian's joined their German Allies in the invasion of France.  Things didn't work out all the well for Il Duce. . .The fleet action with the French was a draw - but the Italians can't really afford to repair all those damaged ships. . . especially with French paratroopers over Venice and a French amphibious invasion of Naples!  Mama Mia! - our French player took a page out of Rommel's book and showed the Axis what blitzkrieg was all about. . .

Almost. . . France ended up signing an armistice and going Vichy the following turn - very happy news for Mussolini. . .

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 11:43:36 AM »
Ceylon became the Guadalcanal of this game. . .The Japanese swept through Burma and invaded India, taking Calcutta by Summer of 42.  But that's as far as they got.  The American's, Brits, Australians and Indian's threw everything they could get their hands on to hold Bombay and Ceylon.  Outnumbered and outgunned, they stopped and eventually defeated the Japanese in a big Naval battle in the Bay of Bengal in Spring of 43 - but it was touch and go for some time - one tough Japanese player!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 03:42:31 AM »
The Russian Front in 1943 - things did not look good for the Red Army - having lost Moscow and Leningrad, they were pushed back to Stalingrad, the Caucasus and formed a line along the Volga and up to the Urals - but this is where they stopped the Germans and began to push them back.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 03:52:21 AM »
This was almost the end of game 3 - the Allies closing in on Berlin.  If the Germans could hold on one more turn they would win.  But where are the Russians?  The Germans managed to keep them at bay inside the Soviet Union.  Love it when there are American heavy tanks and German ME 262s in play!

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:33:42 AM »
While I saw you at Origins, I did not see you at Gen Con Indy. 

I was only there for a couple of hours on Saturday morning.  Between walking the whole convention hall to see what it was all about and hanging with Greg Smorey and his A&A Mega Tourney, I must have missed a bunch of things. 

I did see the one of the other large map A&A games that is out there:

http://www.thewargame.com/

He was set up in the same ballroom as Smorey's tournaments were.

I will look for you again at Origins next year!

Craig

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
Here are a few pictures from GenCon.  I'm sorry it took me so long to post them, but it was a great time.  Friday's game was long and intense and ended with a surrender (mostly because we saw the writing on the wall, had played all day and needed to be done)  Incredible game!

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 02:57:47 PM »
The italian player on the left center had a tough time but the german player in the center of the photo bent over was just taking France I think.... John in the back just observing.

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »
More...

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 03:02:27 PM »
USA and Japan in a major stare down off the coast of Australia while Germany is kicking Russia's butt...

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 03:04:32 PM »
Mark is shuffling the cards and everyone is in deep thought.....It's almost 5:30,  did we start at 8:00am???