Author Topic: Origins Grudge Match  (Read 36821 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Origins Grudge Match
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »
Here is the final VP total at game's end and the major combatants.

(l to r) Eric, Dan, Craig, John, and Mark.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 09:36:03 AM »
Now that you can see the carnage, all should chime in.

It was a pleasure to once again have a quality game.  Many a good conversation was had along the way.

We played from 9 am to midnight on Thursday.  Then we got back to business around 8:30 am on Friday and played until 5:30 pm.

Collapse of Japan brought the game to a halt.  Eric came into the game with a "Japanese First" strategy as the US.  It seemed to work quite well.

Craig

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
OK - you are bringing back new nightmares now. . .

Why do John and I look like a couple of hobbits compared to you guys in that last picture?

Now I want a rematch rematch - this time John can be Germany - or we will be Allies - I'll let John have a crack at Dan - he will give him more of a run for his money that me (and I would love to play Japan against Eric. . . )  Almost enough to make me want to fly out to Detroit. . . maybe you guys can talk your spouses to letting you escape down to Indianapolis. . . its only a 4-5 hour drive  ;)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 01:42:51 AM »
I've got WBC, so Indy is a no-go. :o

Talk to the other two.  Maybe they will go and play the Axis.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
Ok - Are you guys going to make a road trip to New England? I will hear it from Mark until then  :(

John

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2007, 10:27:56 AM »
Wow what a game!!! :o

This was definitely the highlight of my 2007 Origins experience.  Even when the other side is doing their turn, I was always planning my builds and moves for my next turn.  The two days seemed to fly by.

I am sure we will meet again for another game!

Erc

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »
That was by far the most entertaining WWII game that I have played as the US in the Pacific theatre.  In almost all of my previous experiences, the war was decided in Europe before the Pacific war got going.  This time Churchill and Stalin were able to keep the Axis contained so that I could focus nearly all the prewar American builds towards the Pacific.  As Yoper mentioned earlier, I was working on a Japan first strategy.

I finally got a chance to review the replay pictures.  They key to breaking Japan was using the US industrial might to overpower them with fighters.  The US can have 8 on the build card while Japan can only have 2.  I recall many naval air battles in which my airmen where outnumbered and often outfought (those crazy dice :D).  Even though my air casualties where higher, my replacement rate was higher.  If memory serves, it was the spring of 43 when the US finally got air superiority in the Pacific.

I have to give credit to my Allies.  If they were not doing as well as they did in Europe, the drive to Tokyo would have been more difficult. ;)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
As the UK player, I had unusually good luck in my hunting of the German U-boats.

Things could have gotten really tight for me if the Germans had done better in the Atlantic since the US was sending very little my way in the form of Lend-Lease.

Cairo was never seriously threatened, but they did punish me for leaving the Home Islands underdefended.

Good times was had by all.

Craig

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes - I agree. This was the best Pacific Theater game I have had playing Japan. It was a really fun challenge trying to stall the US from pushing forward! This was the first game that I have seen in which the US took out the Japanese Home Islands. Even though I was on the receiving end of this, I was happy to be a part of it!

Til next game!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:24:38 AM by John D. »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »
As Germany - I was very happy with the early game, but got bogged down against Dan's Southern Soviet defenses.  I got to stage a belated invasion of England, which maybe gave Yoper something to worry about for a few turns, but I did not get the opportunity to put enough pressure on the UK in either the Med or the North Atlantic.

I don't think we ever seriously threatened the Allies in terms of being close to winning the game - but maybe next time.  I think I know now how to deal with Dan's Dnepreprotovsk defensive line - but I think next time either John will be Germany or we will be the Allies to mix things up a bit.

A very fun game though - when everyone is an experienced player, it is a blast !
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:40:20 AM by Mark »

boersma8

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »
Awesome pictures and very interesting summary!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 06:59:27 AM »
Yes, one of the most challenging games I have ever played.  :)

John