Author Topic: Game pieces  (Read 40828 times)

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Game pieces
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 02:57:52 AM »
My birthday is 1/29.  Just send it to me first and I will then send it along to CHNfromG after checking it out for a day. :o ;)

Craig

CHNfromG

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 06:01:01 AM »
Hey Craig,

Aquarius are the best  ;D Always willing to help other people, i.e. with a quality control for wargames  :D

Would prefer to have a game with you, but unfortunately the Atlantic is quite huge to come along for a game...

Christoph

thenorthman

• Captain
    • View Profile
IL-2 would a close sub be a TBF Avenger
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
Since the IL-2 wasn't used so much in the naval aspect of WWII the 1/1200 scale by CAP Aero dosn't make one.

Looking at pictures I am thinking the TBF is kind of close to it but it is a little larger than the IL-2 but thought it would be close to it with maybe adjusting (scratch biuilding) the cockpit and adjusting the underbelly a little would be a good sub.

Any opinions?  Any suggestions on some other aircraft?  Here is a link of the available types.  http://www.ss-sms.com/FHSCAP1104.html

Thank you in advance.

Sean

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
Use the British Fairy Fullmar piece.  The plane size and shape is pretty close.  Just shave the back of the cockpit off with an exacto knife and you will have a pretty good Sturmovik.

That's what I did with my very first set - before Brookhuirsthobbies offered a IL-2 miniature.

good luck!
Mark

thenorthman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 06:21:06 AM »
Thanks Mark

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »
After marking the pieces to insure they go back to their original game boxes and a little adapting & overcoming on other pieces, a few of us may be trying out the rules on Thanksgiving weekend. Probably just a couple of turns to get the sequence of actions down and mark down the differences between A&A and this game.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 08:52:58 AM »
Let us know how it goes!

John

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 04:28:51 AM »
If one owns all 4 of the Avalon Hills A&A games, the Milton Bradley A&A game, a Fortress America game, some spare WWII minis, and some ingenuity, one can have enough pieces to run this game. Remember to mark them so they can be returned to their original box as those games are still fun to play.  At full retail that's about $400. That can get you started while one is building up the pieces for their game. I heard AH put out a Battle of the Bulge board game. Haven't seen it yet, but there could be some additional pieces that could be used for this game, as well as some other variant of a board game of war in the Pacific which I've seen but can't remember the name of. From the cover, that game looked very similar to AH's A&A in the Pacific. Thought this could help those with only a few dollars in their pocket and really want to jump into playing this game NOW.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 08:29:08 AM »
Check out the ideas in this thread:

http://www.ww2wargame.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

Craig

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 06:18:24 AM »
I thought I had seen similar info before but couldn't remember under which topic, so just a rehashing of what some others have already done. Hopefully both inputs will show others where there's a will there's a way to have playing pieces available for all the countries.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 08:56:54 AM »
It took me awhile to find it.

I thought it was in this thread and I couldn't understand where it had gone. ???

Craig

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »
You mentioned the pieces need to be functional plus look good too. Why not put ALL the pieces associated with one country into a group photo. That way someone can see what you are offering for the BIG price.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
Good idea. We will do this.

Thanks!

John

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 04:33:26 PM »
Greetings!

Just recently got the game, and needless to say, I'm impressed.  You guys did a lot of work.  You beat me to doing some of the same things. 

I just may adjust the rules a little for different theatres such as the ETO (European Theater of Operation) and the PTO (Pacific . . . ) by playing them separately, to represent a little more historical accuracy (and how is that possible you may ask?).  If you want to use the whole world which could've or did go to war, it is so hard to represent elements of the conflict on the same scale.  For instance, land units in the ETO fit at the corps level.  In the PTO, land units were usually at the division level if I'm not mistaken.  You guys did so well.  Larry Harris would be/is proud of you, I hope.

BUT, on to the point:  I've found White Ensign Models in England to have really good resin 1/700 scale multi-engined aircraft and 1/500 scale single engined aircraft. ;D  They really fit well with A&A, World at War,  and especially, WW2:  The Struggle . . . .  They are discontinuing their lines though. :'(  They still have the molds and do make new models if there is enough interest in producing them. :) I got some B-24's, Ju-52's and SM-84's that look like they were part of the original (sic) games.  I got a couple of 1/500 SBD's (for USMC Aviation) and they fit!

If you're interested, drop them a line.  I hope to be at GenCon-Indy to let those present take a gander.

Enden.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 05:02:06 AM by kriegspieler7 »

thenorthman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:46 AM »
I will be at Gencon as well my grand plan of producing / painting the peices in there historical standard is only half way there so do not plan on bringing the pieces I have done.

Plan on playing Thrusday night but do not know if I'll play every day like last year. :O)

Sean