Author Topic: Balanced frontlines  (Read 4877 times)

Basiror

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Balanced frontlines
« on: June 12, 2007, 08:10:55 AM »
Hi,
today I thought about the latest AAR and one thing came into my mind, most games are decided by battles with huge stacks on either side. I doubt that a general would move all his divisions into a single area and riscs his troops like that.

The idea I had was to force the players to equally distribute their divisions along the "IMPORTANT" frontlines. So battles don t depend that much on quantity, rather more on quality of  the involved troops.

Therefore I propose the introduction of some tables to judge the importance of provinces and maybe a minimum garrison if it is in danger of being captured.

It would be interesting to see how land combat especially in russia changes with these rules.

At the first couple of turns I d say the russian player would be busy reinforcing the front lines,
the german player on the other side  has to hold troops back to garrison the provinces strong enough.

What do you think?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced frontlines
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:45:46 AM »
Hey Basiror,

I have been working on a bunch of rules based on suggestions folks have posted on this forum and have been playtesting many of them on an "advanced" proto-type map with d12 dice.

One of the things being playtested is limited front line units.  So, for example, one could have a maximum of 12 front line units in a battle (maybe only 6 in deserts and mountains) that can participate in a battle in a given round.  Units can be moved from "reserve" to front line at the conclusion of every round - but you can only have so many front line units participate.  I think this gets to your limits idea a bit.

What I have right now is a little more complicated than that as I devised "leaders" that have different ratings that help determine how many units one may mover from reserve to front line every turn - but maybe that is getting too complicated for this game - I don't know. . .

Cheers,
Mark

Basiror

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
Yes, I agree it should be easy to understand and to apply, otherwise it lengthens the round time, which is already pretty long :)

How about something like this:

1. round after battle, place atleast 3 units in the captures province, or the maximum amount you have left after combat
2. round decrease the garrison by one each turn
.... until you reach 1 garrison

This could be extended by differentiations on the theaters.
E.g.:
Africa 1 garrison
France 2 garrison (usually you have more than enough in france to prevent invasions anyways)
Balkan 2

Soviet Union  west of ural 3 or 4
Soviet Union east of ural 1
America ??? ever seen an axis invasion?

This would be good distribution, but should be tested somewhen.

The idea of leaders is also very good, this somewhat defeats the point of super stacks.

If you engage the enemy with 12 vs 12 and manage to beat him the defender has 1d6 per lasting division to surrender
the rest may flee to a neighbouring province or has to surrender if they are encircled.

But what about an allied invasion ? They usually stack more than just 12 divisions at once,
a) its very easy to smash them and throw them back into the sea
b) you can t capture the province as german player after victory until you defeated all the allied units.
c) the allies may not attack with the units left in their round, thus have to reinforce their beachhead in order to hold it.

No more meching into Berlin if they engage heavy  resistance.

One has to evaluate the impact on gameplay and how to adjust the VPs to counter potential inbalance

General Joe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »
 Hi, I am one of the main play testers of the game.

Yes you do end up with areas with large stacks, but look at how large the area is. In the games we play over stracking in one area can be death of the force' because of supply rules. You do not have to counter with a WWI atrit thing. On the East Front 1 over stacked force would end up defeated in the games we play. IE: Mark I challenge you the next time we play and we are fighting it out on the east front to come at me with mainly just 1 large force ! Go for it !
   I beleive the strategic level of the D6 game is to high to use the rules from the proto-type D12 game. There is a lot more to the proto-type D12 game !

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:28:38 AM »
This is for Adm. General Mark:  Any thoughts/ideas as to when a Beta version of those D12 rules might be available for procurement.  The Wargame:  World War 2 by Jeff Stein uses D12's also, but as I look at it, he's simply extrapolated the results from using D6's.  Which is not a bad thing, necessarily.