Author Topic: Factories: Don't start with that?  (Read 8105 times)

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
Factories: Don't start with that?
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
Greetings!

As I peruse my rulebook, board, and pieces, I note that factories can be built and sometimes have been built prior to the start of a scenario.

Just a few thoughts:  No factories are set up to begin with or did I miss something?  The Axis and Allies game family has factories to begin with.  The Xeno game family has factories to begin with.  Jeff Stein's WW2:  The Wargame has large and small factories both to begin with and to build.  (Small factories cannot build battleships, carriers, and bombers.  Large factories can build anything in Jeff's game.)

Was it planned that way for simplicity or ease of game play or what?

What about a similar addition to WW2: The Struggle . . . ? --like small factories in Hungary, Czech-land, or Romania?  Just a thought.   ;D

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Factories: Don't start with that?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
The factories have a different role than in the other games you mention. It only raises your income, it does not govern were you may deploy your builds.
You´ll never walk alone

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:21:38 AM »
Thanks sleipner.

I had wondered about that and as I'm a newbie to the WW2:  The Struggle . . . system, it may take awhile to "re-tool" some of the items/rules/reasonings in my head.

Another idea might be to be able to build a small factory over two turns, say a 3/3, and have that increase production by 1/2 the amount of a regular factory.

Smaller nations had that capability, but nothing on the scale or the major combatants, and none to compare with the USA.

k7

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:47:30 AM »
Yeah - the whole concept of factories is different in this game.  They are only used to increase your production.

All of your units have to be built in your hom countries.  But, some minor Allies (such as Romania, Hungary, Turkey, etc) have a limited ability to build infantry formations of their own as well.

cheers,
Mark

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »
Greetings Mark and John and all you other tS4EnA afficianados!

If you've already answered this, great!  Just point me to the thread where I can locate it.  I missed it in the rules.

I'm just continuing with a queston on the topic of factories.  Is there a limitation on where factories can be built, like, do they have to be built in your home country or can they be built in an allied country, like Canada/India/Australia for the U. K., which doesn't have a production center?

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
Greetings Mark and John and all you other tS4EnA afficianados!

If you've already answered this, great!  Just point me to the thread where I can locate it.  I missed it in the rules.

I'm just continuing with a queston on the topic of factories.  Is there a limitation on where factories can be built, like, do they have to be built in your home country or can they be built in an allied country, like Canada/India/Australia for the U. K., which doesn't have a production center?

Page 9, Column 1:

Building Factories
Nearly every country has the ability to increase their military production by building factories. Factories take 4 turns to build at a cost of 6 production points a turn (for a total of 24 production points). Once placed on the board, each factory is counted as 5 additional production points for the owning player when he counts up his production points at the end of the turn. Note that maximum builds also govern the number of factories that can be on the production chart at any one time.

Factories can only be built at player’s existing production center territories that are owned at the start of the game. Only one factory can be built at production center territories that have an initial production point value of 3 or more. Up to two factories may be built in a territory that has an initial production point value of 6 or more. If a territory has an initial production point value of 12 or more, up to four factories may be built in it. Therefore, factories can only be placed in your own production center territories owned at the start of the game and the number of additional factories a territory can support is dependent on the initial production point value of the territory.

If an enemy unit occupies a territory with a factory in it, the factory is damaged and flipped on its side. Damaged factories do not produce any production points until they are repaired. Damaged factories can be repaired in the initial strategic phase by spending 6 production points (one turn’s worth of factory production – just like repairing battleships). Repaired factories are flipped back up on the ‘place new units on the board’ phase at the end of the turn and their production is counted by the occupying nation at the end of the turn. Factories are always damaged when their territory is taken or retaken. Factories cannot be eliminated.

Craig

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
Thanks Yoper.  I appreciate the quick response.  I didn't expect such a thorough answer.  But then, you've covered all the bases.   ;D

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 03:32:52 AM »
Thanks Yoper.  I appreciate the quick response.  I didn't expect such a thorough answer.  But then, you've covered all the bases.   ;D

I was my quick response, but the thorough answer comes directly from the rule book. ;D

Enjoy!

Craig

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
Yoper, you jogged my memory.  I thought of this when playing just the "Struggle for Asia" scenario,  but forgot it.  Now the question: if factories can only be built on home territories with production centers, and when playing the UK in that the S4A scenario, a factory could only be built "off map," in Great Britain, and nowhere else in Asia, say in India or Australia.

Is that correct, or could no factory be built by the UK player at all?  :-\

Again, if this is covered in the rules or there is a forum thread, I welcome the clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:20:30 AM »
Hi - Factories can only be built at existing production centers - so in the AP game, the British (Commonwealth) can only build a factory 'off board' in the UK.

Mark

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 06:08:27 AM »
Thanks for the timely response.  I can't wait to play you guys and get beat at GenConIndy in August.

Wait, did I say that right?