Author Topic: Minor allies fighters  (Read 5980 times)

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
Minor allies fighters
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:08:17 PM »
Hi, are the fighters for minor countriese supposed to be bi-planes/early war fighters`? Or is it just the Polish one?

Daniel
You´ll never walk alone

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Minor allies fighters
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
Poland and all minor neutrals have bi-planes/early war fighters. Plus Italy and Russia start with and can only build bi-planes/early war fighters until the designated dates in which they can build regular fighters. England can only have bi-planes/early war fighters for carrier planes until noted on the build chart. Hope that helps.

John

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »
But where is it in the rules? Just got the game so I maybe have missed it? Is the minor countries = pre42 others as named on the air chart?

Another thing regarding fighters is that on the chart it talks about French pre42 fighters and 42+fighters. But is this really the same unit? (since France hasn´t got an early war biplane)
     And the russian could begin building normal fighters earlier than pre1942 if it was attacked. Is the air chart assuming that it doesn´t get attacked and therfore isn´t able to build it until this date approx because of neutral build limits?

I guess I have an idea about the intentions regarding the russian fighter value, it just seems unclear since the chart mentions a date and the prerequisite to build normal fighters is not a date.

I hope you understand my swenglish :)

Daniel

You´ll never walk alone

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:32:13 AM »
Hi sleipner,

The national fighter values are not listed in the rulebook - only on the air-to-air battleboard (and on the national reference charts for the major powers).  "Others" on the air-to-air battleboard refers to all non-listed nationalities - including 'minor' powers that have air units (so the Polish, Spanish, Turkish and (yes, unfortunately) even the Swedish air units are considered "early war" 2 or less air-to-air combat value.

It is the same unit for the French.  If they are still in the game in 1942 - the French air units automatically upgrade (of course, as pointed out by others, if the French are still in the game in 1942, the game is probably over  ;D)

The date for the Soviet air units on the air battleboard is misleading (thought it usually works out around 1942).  The Soviet’s can start building mid-war air units (and can no longer build early war air units) after they have built two additional early war fighters – per their production chart – regardless of whether they are at war or not. 

Sorry for the confusion – hope that helps.

Mark

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 05:59:29 AM »
Thanks, I think I understand. Well, if Germany goes after Russia from getgo and screen the western allies maybe France 42 could be achieved? Think I read that someone had tried that strategy in World in Flames. Sounds insane to me.

Yeah, Swedish fighter as a biplane, awful  >:( :D. After 130 years of peace "we" tried to have the best defense after the war instead before, hihi. A common saying in Swedish politics I am starting to get tired upon is "We are following the development" . I think it would be better to be leading it but that´s just me.  ;)

Daniel
You´ll never walk alone

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
Well, one more question. I noticed after our new game´s first session that Japan isn´t mentioned on the air-combat chart to have an air-to-air value of 3 from the beginning. Is this really correct? I have always thought that the Japanese fighters were better than the allied ones until late in the war.

Daniel
You´ll never walk alone

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »
They are a "3" for air to air. - This is on the Country chart.

John

sleipner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
oh, thanx
You´ll never walk alone