Author Topic: What a game!!!  (Read 14553 times)

solomongrundy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
What a game!!!
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:35:08 PM »
 Hey Mark......I played your game at Gen Con on Friday....Chad(the German player).  Definitely the best WWII game I have ever played.  Even though I lost, it was a blast doing so!  Marty thinks the same as I do.  I certainly am considering buying the game WHEN I can muster the funds for it(must overcome the expected spousal resistance). 

Thanks for the great time on Friday!!

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: What a game!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »
I absolutely agree!! Friday’s game was epic and very fun.  Now all other WWII games will be compared to yours.  Thanks for a great experience!

Marty (Gen-Con)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:02:15 PM »
Hey Chad,
     John here. I was helping you guys (the Axis)out. Your group played like pros. I would have never believed it was your first time playing. Great game right up to the end. By the way - I agree. It is a game in which you can enjoy even if you are on the losing side...

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://advancedaxisandallies.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:40:51 AM »
And where are these pictures? How did the axis lose and where was the telling battle?
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 08:50:32 AM »
Chad and Marty,

Thanks for the great game on Friday.  I think it would be stretching it to say that you 'lost' - you had the Allies on the ropes for quite some time.  You guys played a great Germany and Japan - it is great to see that players that have wargame experience can pick up the rules quickly and play a great game their first time at it.

It would be great to get you in a game again - just drop me a note if you are thinking about going to any other cons.

I will be posting a few pictures from GenCon soon - but did not take as many as I wanted  - having too much fun to stop and document the games!

solomongrundy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:43:36 AM »
Hey Mark.......Marty took some pictures.  One of us will send you some.  Definitely interested in playing again when the chance arises.  We'll be sure to check your upcoming events regularly!!

Chad.

solomongrundy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:55:32 AM »
Hey Imperious.....

I was doing pretty good with Germany.  Had USSR pushed back pretty quickly.  Had trouble with the "death blow" in the Urals though.  Italy rolled a "1" and left the war, which put a sudden burden on my airforce.  German airforce was largely wiped out in a defensive attempt to destroy or push out the British fleet.

Japan slowly but surely began to lose ground to the Americans and although we still held a good amount of Victory points in 1944-45, we were surely losing ground everywhere.  We were constantly trying to hold on and win with the decreasing victory conditions but in the end, after about 13.5 hours we were tired.  Marty and I agreed that we probably could not win as the Allies just kept getting that one extra Victory point they needed every turn (points we usually could not get back (like in the Pacific).  We offered an armistice(as the Germans would like to call it) but the American player demanded I word it as a complete surrender.  USSr and Britain were also willing to accept our surrender.  So we said "WE GIVE UP...WE SURRENDER" but we were totally prepared not to take away the Allies' glory of a victory(we were willing to continue if they wanted us to).

It was so much fun...I never enjoyed a war game as I did this one.  The really cool part about the game is that if you don't finish the job, it will come back and knock you out later (as it did to us).  We thought we had the game wrapped up and BOOM, we were sitting on our butts soon enough.

Truly AWESOME Mark!! 

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
"Italy rolled a "1" and left the war"

I hate when that happens. ;D ;D

Im not sure why they roll to stay in the game but it sounds funny when it happens to your opponent. Im one of the few who havent got the game and dont know how its played even though i have ordered a full copy. I cant wait for the pictures...

btw hows my game coming.. you got the pieces painted yet?
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

Bobsalt

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 03:42:27 AM »
Hi guys,

I didn't play the game at GenCon, but I watched for awhile (I was with a newbie, he didn't want to get tied to one event, and I was concerned with making sure he enjoyed his first convention). I DEFINITELY plan to buy this game. This is a very impressive effort. What I really like is that it contains so many concepts from more traditional wargames (line of supply, production spiral, etc.) that you could use this game to transition a traditional A&A player into more traditional wargames like WiF. On the other hand, playing this you might not want to go back to those other games - I mean, it IS a whole lot more fun to push tanks and battleships around than counters.

A couple of questions:

1) When is it going to be released for sale? My assumption from what I heard is that this is a "coming release" - but I saw a post where someone apparently has it. I'd like to get this as soon as I can, because I'll have time in the next three months to paint - after that, it will be next May before work slows down again enough to do much. If the Basic Game is already available, I can send you payment immediately (one of the upsides of bachelorhood - no wife to clear things through).

2) On the subject of buying, do you take plastic? Or do I need to send a check?

3) Would it be possible to get just the list of needed miniatures and where to buy them before you release it so I can get busy painting so they'll be ready when the game is released?

4) What will be the next events you guys will be attending to demo this?

Thanks - Bob
"Peace through superior firepower"

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:54:56 PM »
Hello Bob,
  Â  Â  The release should be before the end of Sept.. We are finalizing a few things so it may take a bit longer. You would need to send a check or paypal Mark. The basic game will have a list of miniatures and where to buy them. It will be cheaper to buy the full version with painted miniatures from us then buying them on your own unpainted - that is - if you were planning on doing all metal pieces. The reason the list is included is just in case you only wanted to buy certain pieces. I personally like pushing around the metal miniatures.
  Â  Â  Â Mark may go to GEN CON in CA.
Hope that answers your questions.

John
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:00:10 PM by John D. »

King Spruggo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 08:15:24 AM »
Yep, it's quite a game! I was there for the Saturday game at GenCon. and played the Americans. It was a long, tense game. I was sure the USSR was a goner, but he held in there. I poured as many resources into the Chinese, USSR and UK as was possible (Lend Lease) and the Axis was slowly driven back. Paris was cut-off, and Patton was ready to cross the Rhine in Fall 44 when the Axis offered an armistice. I insisted on an Axis surrender and the game was over. Loads of fun, and I look forward to doing it again sometime!

Mitch

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 09:03:30 AM »
If mark is going to Gen Con in Los Angeles i can fully support him with at least 3-4 players right off the bat.  I would like help him in any way i can to set up or demo the game... but i have to first recieve a copy of the rules or the game... Is my copy gonna be ready by then? or can i buy or get a copy of the rules so i can understand how the game is played so i can help demo it... Even though i make my own games i fully support any projects that others can come up within the same genre of any axis and allies game system.

BTW when you were in indy did you meet my friend Jeff Stein?
He was the guy with world war II: the Game.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 10:23:20 AM »
Hello Imperious,
      We are still waiting for a few backordered units to arrive. Still hoping for the end of the month.

Thanks-John

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
Good news.. just let me know when your ready...