Author Topic: the first Holland game...  (Read 32091 times)

Micoom

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: the first Holland game...
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2007, 07:51:30 AM »
The Axis are on 41 VP's and allot more in reach.. Baku of 2vp's is out of supply and no troops..There is no way the Allies can hold the Axis below 42 VP's in the Next turn.. So we end it in an Axis victory.  Germany and Italy did very well imo. The Allies never put any presure on Italy this game..

Playing on for the Allies isn't worth it right?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
Actually Baku and the Crimea look like they should still be in supply. Remember, to check for supply, a territory must be able to trace supply (over land and/or water) to 2 friendly production centers. Remember since a production center can trace supply to itself, it just needs to trace supply to one other production center. Also - Russia can trace supply over the Caspian Sea. I am not sure if the game is over yet - Russia can build in Baku....  8)

Later  ;D

Micoom

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »
Ahh, I forgot, that you can trace supply to itself as one of the two... Ok, we will have a look at it... IT will still be very difficult, because also Moscow and in lesser amount Lennigrad are under real pressure to be invaded. And also the Urals are in reach... (though no vp there, but all Russia's factories) Also Mosul will fall to Turkish and Italian attacks.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »
Yup - Baku is hard to put out of supply because the Russians can trace supply accross the Caspian to Turkmenistan and beyond too.

The Russians are in trouble (have the Western Allies been sending Lend Lease to them?) but they may be able to hold Baku, Moscow, Leningrad and the Urals.  It looks like they lost a lot of their good stuff the last couple turns in unsuccessful counterattacks which is too bad.

At this point it is probably going to go Axis - things that the Allies can do though is to 1) Take Norway; 2) Move most of the US fleet off the Gilbert islands and threaten a few Japanese victory points 3) Get the British and the US into the Western Med as fast as possible and start threatening Italian and North African VPs. 

But the Axis at 41 VPs means you don't have a lot of time to maneuver into these positions - so it may be tough. . .

Mark

Micoom

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:49 AM »
Yes, Just looked at the map, and maybe with some luck the Russians can hold on their VP's for one turn. Which I really doubt however. But the British can't Hold on to Mosul. And the Allies can't hold on to Oslo (if they even succeed in taking it) It is really a lost cause for the Allies.

Lend Lease was only via the Vladivostok route the last turns. So not that much.. Russia lost it's Armor to easy.  And the UK should have used it's Royal Navy better early on.

Must learn from the mistakes..  Allies would had a chance, if they had put the Germans at Stalingrad out of Supply in Spring..

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 11:09:14 AM »
I gotta say, I think both sides did a great job at playing the game - especially since this is your first time playing it - usually the learning curve is a bit more challenging.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
Yeah - I'll back Mark up on that. Exceptional first game.

John

derdiktator

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 05:26:14 AM »
I quite agree - a MOST impressive performance on BOTH sides for a first game.  The Allies clearly had a bit of a learning experience, but they do tend to be more difficult to master, given their need to play properly for the long-term. Of course, I have never seen the Axis suffer when both Sweden and Turkey trigger...  poor Russian player - my sincerest sympathy!

dd