Author Topic: Units  (Read 6343 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Units
« on: August 09, 2005, 07:54:49 AM »
There have been a few questions regarding the value of some units - whether some units are more valuable than others.

I think it largely depends on your strategic situation. Infantry continues to be a good buy for just about everyone - but is governed by national build limits.

Armor is exceptional - especially on the offensive - being able to attack during the regular and on the mechanized phase and getting a bonus when attacking territories that have no armor / anti-tank units.  

Fortifications are the ultimate defensive unit - a stack of forts makes it pretty intimidating to go after a territory - especially in the mountains or the jungles.

AT guns are more valuable for some more than others.  For the Soviet Union they are almost a must buy to wear down German armor.  For the Germans, from games that I have seen, the 88' is what most players buy - basically because its a "4 or less" AT gun rather than "3 or less" or it can play the role of an AA gun if the player wishes - and its mechanized - all for only 1 production point more in cost.  But, they tend to buy AT guns later in the game - just to have more defensive units.

Any thoughts on the most or least valuable unit in the game?

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://advancedaxisandallies.com/
Re: Units
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »
I think you should install manpower limits on infantry class units that are bought, which will in game terms force the builds of other unit types. Plus buying nice pieces adds to the game because these units have better mobility in many cases, but greater differentiation of purpose. Historically its better because it demonstrates the ability of some nations to call up manpower reserves and places limitations that as the commander of the nation you have to face. Nothing is worse than huge stacks of "static" infantry waiting for decent offensive units to push into your enemys borders.
   The manpower reserves can fluctuate based on the year and perhaps to lessor extent how well you are doing in the game. Example: Germany can build Volkstrum units at any time after an allied nations forces are adjacent to the Reich, but at a certain limit... while if germany is doing well even after 1944 then they have no need for this or the limits can change.

Since i dont as of yet own the game ( i am still salavating for the moment i will actually recieve the game) It might be a good idea to post the unit values and the costs for discussion.
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
Already there, Imperious

If you look at the screen shot of the US country reference chart on the game design page - you will notice there is a maximum builds column  - this governs the maximum number of units for each type that can be built every turn.  Maximum builds are based on a country's manpower as well as industrial infrastructure - so it varies from nation to nation.  Some game events and minor allies (say if Romania or Spain were to join the Axis) increase maximum builds.

We'll take plenty of game shots at Gencon and share them with you - you should still try and make it there for the weekend - will make it worth your while.

Imperious Leader

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://advancedaxisandallies.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 04:54:52 PM »
God your killing me... I allready had plans for that weekend, plus i like to plan out things a bit. My friends Jeff Stein and John libby will greet you in Indy, while they are running World War 2: the game. I have forwarded your site to them and they love it. Ill study that chart better, but you know those pics are too dam small!!!  I like the fact you got light med and heavy armor, but do the Germans have any SS units? if so what are their values?
"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." ---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:40:18 AM »
For marketing purposes, you may want to put out a group of photos by country on this web site showing all  the pieces you will get for $995 + s&h. A picture can speak a thousand words for you here instead of someone just looking over the list.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:03:22 AM »
Good idea - there are a ton of miniatures (as you know!)