Author Topic: Feb 3rd Hartford Game (w/Pics)  (Read 47890 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 3rd Hartford Game (w/Pics)
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2007, 02:13:12 AM »
Autumn 1944 - in the Pacific:  American marines that have been building up away from the front start their offensive first by mopping up some isolated VP garrisons and landing in the Philippines.  The British fleet joins the Americans in the Pacific and Allied naval aircraft launch attacks against what is left of the Japanese fleet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:15:04 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:46 AM »
I guess we did not take a final picture in Germany. . . it was 2am after all!  But, the Allies launched their attack into the Ruhr, they had a lot of armor and the Germans rolled a bit sub-par (my generals were demorilized no doubt).  It was clear after one round of combat that the Allies would have enough force to mech attack into Berlin and end the game.  So, John borded a u-boat and sailed off for Argentina and that was that. 

The game became an uphill battle for the Axis and the Allies did not make many mistakes.  some of the things that contributed to the Axis defeat were:

• 1) I think we tweaked China a little bit too much - that theater sucked in a lot of Japan's resources
    2) Failed Mech attack into Paris in Spring 1940 - cost us a bunch of armor
    3) Failed invasion attampt of Gibraltar - cost us points, men and time in the Med
    4) Excellent force balance of the Brits in the Med, Asia and England - they kept just enough force to prevent a decisive German breakthrough anywhere.
    5) Lack of an earlier u-boat offensive - allowed the Brits to build up too much.
    6) Japan did not invest enough in its airpower early on - that really cost us later when we lost every air engagement we fought.
    7) The Russian front was very tough defensive nut to crack - excellent play on Joe's part. Despite all the armor resources John threw into Russia - they bent but did not break.
    8) The Axis should have went over to the defensive earlier in Russia.  Instead we threw every last guy we had into last ditch offensives - in the end, we ran out of resources to slow the Allied advance down when we needed to.
    9) The bait and switch landings in Normandy and the Holland put the final nail into the Axis coffin.

Look forward to the next one!

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »
I would have to agree with your points.

Argentina is nice this time of year... ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:02:53 AM by John D. »

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »
On the picture Spring 1942 and summer 1942 one question came up.
How do the german tanks  move so far ? I mean is not max 2 movement points (one normal and one mech)?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »
Hey Darkman - yes -tanks only get to move one in the regular movement phase and then one again during the mech phase.  Are you referring to the reply #35 picture?  Not sure which armor move you are referring to.  In Summer 1942, the Germans attacked out of the Crimea into the Kuban and then mech moved just South of Stalingrad - is that the move you are referring to?

Mark

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2007, 05:25:43 AM »
ok ok forget it :P i didnt saw the straight argh :P

derdiktator

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
Russian Spring 1942 followed by the German Summer offensive

It's hard to make sure, but in the German Eastern Front Spring '42 turn (photo #35), it looks like the Germans could have surrounded the big Russian stack down south. It looks like they could have dropped a paratrooper from the bend in the Dnepr to the province north of Stalingrad, and then sealed the pocket with mech moves (and which they almost did as it was). It looks like there's a paratrooper and bomber available from the German force in the Dnepr - hard to be sure from the photo. It doesn't appear there's any defending fighters to have stopped the move either. 

I'm probably missing something on the photo, but do the Eastern Front guys remember the situation?

dd
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:03:59 AM by derdiktator »