Author Topic: Feb 3rd Hartford Game (w/Pics)  (Read 47891 times)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 3rd Hartford Game (w/Pics)
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 02:36:28 PM »
We (ok, "I") had interpretted the rules the same as your group innitially.  I think it was James who argued that the attacker and then the defender gets the opportunity to retreat after every battle and to be consistent that sequence should be true for submarine strategic attacks as well.

I could not really argue the point and, since it added to the survivability of subs without making any special rules, we incorporated it into how we conduct submraine strategic combat.  We've been interpretting the sub rules this way for the last couple games we have played.  Unless you guys object, I think I will make this interprettation more clearly stated in the rules.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:28 PM »
I guess so. :o 

I can see were one could argue that the ability to retreat by either the attacker or the defender does exist since that step in a round of combat does come before the end of the round.

Eric- the same thing tweaked my "rules antenna" when I read that post. :)

Craig

derdiktator

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 05:33:45 PM »
I like to make France more of a fight too - knock the Germans down a bit if you can in Spring - Summer 1940 to try and weaken them for Russia - I'm not sure why James did not - he invested quite a bit in ASW and an airforce as well as really beefed up the Brits in the Pacific prior to Japan going to war.  Maybe that was what was behind his strategy

What was behind my strategy was that I hadn't played Britain in six or eight months and couldn't remember how to play France... also, the early and heavy focus on ASW and air kind of cut into producing anything to help France. I always figure it's a goner anyway, though I'd expected the French to do more than they did, tho' viva la France for saving the British Eastern Med fleet!!!

Agreed - leaving France to fend for itself is probably not the best way to go, but it is a prejudice of mine to commit to convoy protection from the git-go even though it means a weaker France. Also, it was indeed my strategy to look long-term towards containment of the Japanese, and which mandated protecting British production.

dd

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 02:46:13 AM »
Spring 1942 - Axis Turn - The Germans advance in Russia and take the Crimea.  The Germans choose to ignore the Dieppe-like invasion of lightly defended France that happened in the Winter of 1941

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:49:04 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 02:50:39 AM »
Spring 1942 - Allied Turn - The British reinforce their Normandy landing and invade Morocco in North Africa as well

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 02:54:30 AM »
Russian Spring 1942 followed by the German Summer offensive

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »
It looks like I did not document most of the Axis Summer 1942 turn - sorry about that.  I think I got too carried away finally launching my Japanese offensive in the Pacific. . .  I shot down a few planes and sank a battleship at Pearl Harbor.  Todd responded by strategic moving in the entire US fleet on his turn.  In the South Pacific, my invasion of Australian defended Rabaul was a complete failure despite my surprise attack bonus.  That Damn Aussie wiped out 4 of my infantry and held the island. . .

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:04:56 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 03:07:45 AM »
In Southeast Asia things went better.  I took Singapore, Hong Kong, the Dutch East Indies and isolated the Philippines.  Monty and Rommel continue their test of wills at El alemein.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 03:13:54 AM »
The Allies continue their build-up in France and North Africa - and launch an invasion of Norway as well! 

"Ahem. . . john. . . JOHN. . .take your gaze off of Russia for a second!. . . well at least he is getting some u-boats out into the Atlantic now. . ."  He does not seem worried though. . . he must have a plan. . .

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 04:23:40 AM »
Ok fine - France and North Africa I was expecting - but attacking Norway! Man - that was a shocker! And they took it easily - not one loss on their side!

That hurt - that really hurt!

I think all of my commanders were trying to figure out how to deal with Uncle Joe's massive defensive line in Russia.

The Brits were sneaky!
I respect that.

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
Autumn of 1942 Axis turn in the Pacific

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
Autumn of 1942 - the Axis land an army in Tunisia to deal with the Allied build up in Morocco and Algeria.  The Germans also move a panzer army to France to deal with the Allied landings there.  The U-boats are finally inflicting some significant damage on the Allies

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:26:47 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
Autumn 1942 - Allied turn - Pacific.  The Americans move the bulk of their navy down to Australia to deal with the Japanese advance into the Coral Sea.  The Chinese launch an offensive and push the Japanese back in China.

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »
Allies advance into Eastern Algeria in the Autumn of 1942

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
And the Allies pull out of France and reinforce their ASW in the Atlantic.