Author Topic: Fortification Pieces  (Read 6264 times)

aordolin

• Major
    • View Profile
Fortification Pieces
« on: January 21, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »
Well after alot of painting I am just about ready to start my first game :)  However there was one thing from the list sent out I couldnt figure out.  For the fortifications the list says to make from balsa wood.  I was wondering if someone could post a picture or give me some idea of how to make these without them looking well like a painted piece of balsa wood.  The pieces I see others using for fortifications dont look like anything I have from any of my existing games.  Last thing I need to put together.  Hopefully Ill have my game started next weekend assuming I can get everyone up to speed on the rules before then.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Fortification Pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 07:12:01 AM »
Hello Aordolin,
    The art of making forts is a bit subjective. They are basically a 1/2 hexagon shape about 1 inch long. The "front top" of the fort is shaved diagonally to give it a "rounded" look. A small slit is carved into the front of the fort and a small piece of wire is inserted into the middle of it to represent a gun/canon. When you spray them with paint they look good.

Hope that helps

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »
Hi, 
I have had the 'honor' of making a couple thousand of these forts  ::)

Here is the process:
Most hobby as well as arts and crafts stores sell the balsa wood doll-rods that are 2-3 feet long.  Buy a couple of these rods that are about 1/2" x 1/2" square.

Cut these square rods into appx. 1 inch long pieces using a fine toothed saw or an exacto knife.

Next step is to take your exacto knife and share off two corners of the 1" long square block at 45 degree angles - so you are left with one side of your square block being an inch long and the other side looking like the three sides of half a hexagon.

Next step is to take your exacto knife and carve out the gun slite on the 45 degree angled side of the block.  In about the middle of the block, just niche out a small indentation with you knife along all the 'walls' of the 45 degree angled sides of the block.

Next, shave the top (roof) of the block with an exacto-knife so that the roof slopes down slightly on the sides of the block that you gun slit is on.

Finally, buy a spool of wire at a hardware store that is about the same diameter of a 1/300th miniature tank barrel.  Cut them into 1/4" long pieces and stick them into the gun slits (by either jamming them into the balsa, or dipping them into a bit of glue before jamming them into the balsa) to be your bunker's main gun.

Once you spray paint your bunker the color of your miniatures it looks pretty good.

hmmm - after reading this - I can see how this may not be easy to follow - so let me know if you have any follow-up questions.  The "Spring 1944" picture on the "Game Design" page of website ( - of the website - not the forum) has a decent picture of a fortification in France made this way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:55:06 AM by Mark »

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »
I love your forts mark :)

aordolin

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »
Thanks those directions help alot.  I had wanted to just use the bunker pieces from axis and allies d-day but Hasbro doesnt sell the replacement parts anymore. or atleast nothing for that game.

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »
Plus, those blockhouses are only in German gray.

If you have looked at the pics from our Detroit group, you will see the parts we use- land mines from the Table Tactics expansion packs.  They come in all the colors you need.

Craig