Author Topic: Our First Game  (Read 16375 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Our First Game
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:48:40 AM »
16#

[attachment deleted by admin]

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
17# Final

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 03:37:42 AM »
Hey - the pictures look great!  Looks like you guys got a lot of turns under your belt your first time playing the game!  Hope everyone had fun!

When are you guys getting together again for another go at it?

cheers,
Mark

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 03:53:19 AM »
Wow - Great pics! - Once you are comfortable with the game mechanics would will see that you will have countless strategies to try - on both sides. Looking forward to seeing the next game!

John

Basiror

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »
Hi, I am the german player ^^, the whole Italian role was messed up more or less due to the restricted rule set (e.g.: declaring war and thus, I lost ~ 2 turns because I forgot to declare war every now and then *gr*)

This delay kept me from taking greece and creta before barbarossa, since I had to launch the initial attack on the USSR otherwise my army at the eastern front would be history withing a few turns *G*

At least I got the bismarck and the tripitz to attack the royal navy a little.

Today I examined the last game a little, concentrating on russia in early 1941 should put the axis into a position that allows them to gain enough VPs to 1942, since the russian can only react on the german attacks as long as they loose all their stacks every battle.
On the other hand you need to redeploy major parts of the Luftwaffe to Italy to save it against the Royal Navy.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:02:13 AM by Basiror »

Basiror

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 09:07:37 AM »
Another thing I d like to mention is, I had around 92 PPs before launching barbarossa unfortunately I was not able to invest these PPs into anything  of major use in the following combat turns.
25 for tanks
10 for armored
30 for infantrie
25 for fighters

but land units take a lot of redeployment cost to the eastern front (15 shared with italy)  One should add something like additional redeployment for axis for each factory.

Thats also been a major flaw in Axis & Allies, the production centers have just been to far away from the front which more or less forces you to pause the winter term and lets the russian recover from the heavy loses during summer.

I had ~ 23 Aircrafts at the eastern front, canon fodder for the russian flak

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »
Hello Basiror,
   It seems like you have a very good feel for the game! 92 is good production for the Axis. Remember to use transports and bombers to carry infantry around when you can.

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
Hi Basiror,

Usually, the Germans can accumulate around 70-75 PP or so before Barbarossa and the Italians have around 15 - so it sounds like you had a pretty good economy before going into Russia   8).

If Germany is only building for the Russian front, their production usually maxes out around the following:
30 for inf + 6 more for Hungary and Romania
10 for PzGr
15 for panzers
16 for fighters
and then maybe some of the following:
8 for Stukas
10 for bombers
4 for a paratrooper
10 for Artillery
10 for German 88's

Of course, in addition to that there are the Italian builds.  There are also subs to keep the Brits busy, and money that can be spent on fortifications in France, Italy and Norway to help defend against the Allies. 

Man. . .23 aircraft facing the Russians!  Your Eastern Front must have been very scary!

I think the game is a constant battle of balancing resources, concentrate a little too much on one theater and you lose in another - and you face some of the same problems that plagued the warring powers in the real war.  But, I have seen the Axis win a few times though by trying to take Russia out fast with as much resources as they can muster.

Every unit represents about 2 divisions - so redeploying 30 divisions is quite a lot of rail capacity.  It seems to work fairly well.  Later in the game, after the Allies invade Italy or France - being able to redeploy 30 divisions from Russia to France in a turn is quite a lot - and much more than the Germans did historically during the real war.  More rail capacity than 15 begins to give the Axis too much flexibility to throw their weight from one side of Europe to the other too quickly and began to effect a realistic simulation and game balance (believe me, we learned from a lot of games of experience !  ;D )  Of course, after playing the game a few times, if you still feel that the rail capacity limits need changed  - everything is open to debate!

I hope you guys enjoyed your first game - it looks like you all figured things out pretty well your first time playing it!

Basiror

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
what is your experience regarding an attack with ~ 10 plane against a province with 1 or 2 anti air guns?

From my understanding they can pick 6 planes and try to shoot them down with a 'one'
So stukas are a must to pick these guns and blow them away.
But with a little luck the defender causes enormous loses to the attacking party and anti air guns take only 1 round to finish. Planes however take 2 rounds + redeploying them to the front

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 04:19:23 AM »
Ok - Your understanding is correct.

You are asking my opinion so other people may have a different opinion.

1-2 AA guns or any amount for that matter will not deter me from attacking an important area. Luck can always influence any dice game. That is what makes things interesting/scary. Usually luck evens itself out over the course of a large game like this but if it does not - you really can not do anything about it. I just go with odds when conducting an attack.

"Planes however take 2 rounds + redeploying them to the front"

Part of the logistics involved with attacking. The Russians would have the same issues if they were attacking you. :)

Thanks-John

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 05:01:13 AM »
Yeah me made some mistakes with the german pp , we gave him 20 instead of 18 for france (madagascar out of supply and french indo china).

His aircraft was really scary :)

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 07:58:58 AM »
Scary is good! It makes for an interesting game!  :o 8)

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »
Hey Darkman - when are you guys playing again?

It looks like we may have a game next weekend - so I'll dust off my digital camera  :)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »
Hi Mark ,

It can take a while until we play again. we are all busy at the moment.

But i'm sure next time the Axis will make more trouble.