Author Topic: CONVENTIONS  (Read 87149 times)

Inveigler

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CONVENTIONS
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 02:07:36 AM »

Hey guys,

Can't wait for next week!  Just to let you know, I've got myself and Chad(solomongrundy) from two years ago coming for probably the Friday session.  From what I'm reading about Origins---wow, that sounded like a good time.  We are coming in on Thursday and we'll see you then.

Marty

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 03:20:28 AM »
Awesome guys - glad to here it. Remember - you can download the rules off the site if you need a quick refresher!

See you there!

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 03:12:33 AM »
Great to hear!  Looking for a good game against you and Chad on Friday (get your sleep Thursday night!)

See you there!
Mark

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 03:43:40 PM »
I'll be driving in on Wednesday afternoon. I'm helping a vendor with his supplies and will register that afternoon. Do you still have openings on Thursday & Saturday?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 01:47:50 AM »
Hi, Bob - look forward to seeing you again in Indy too!  I think there are openings both days -  I think there are more people signed up on Thursday than Saturday.

See you there! 

Yoper

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 03:59:28 AM »
I wonder if Mark and John actually won a game at GCI since the Detroit crew wasn't there to keep them in line? ;D

I hope that all had a great time this year.

Also guys, I saw your buddy James (the one who played Italy on the second day of our Origins game) at WBC playing Anzio.  I don't know if he really recognized me from Origins or not.  Pass it along and see if it rings a bell for him.

Craig

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
The game designers must be getting OLD. They haven't got onto the site yet and told everyone how well they did or did not do yet!

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 02:48:25 AM »
HEY!  I am getting old - but that is beside the point. . .   ;)

We had a packed table all three days with 6-7 players going at it every day - which was a lot of fun and LOTS of different strategies and priorities - always a blast when you get debate going about what to do and what not to do (well, usually  ;D! )

John hosted the game on Thursday (as I did not arrive until Thursday PM) - so I can't comment on the first game, but I can on Friday and Saturday:

Friday's game was an Allied victory in late 1943.  It pitted Chad as Germany, me as Japan, and Paul as Italy against Marty, Tim, Dave, Tiny and John as the Allies.  The game had a great start - but I think the British really decided it in the Med.  The Axis never really applied much pressure to England and the British empire went on the offensive in North Africa in 1941, pushing the Italians out by early 42 and staging an invasion of Italy.  The game was decided on Victory points in Autumn 1943 with the Allies firmly entrenched in Italy, Germany stalled in Russia and the Allies able to commit enough resources (- most of the British fleet and the U.S.) to stop any Japanese advances.

Saturday's game was very close up until 1943.  Bob played England, Brent played the US, Sean played China and the US Pacific, Mark Meunch played Russia, Dave played Germany, John played Italy and Tim played Japan.

Like I said the game was very close up until 1943.  From my (well. . . pro-allied) referee point of view, I think Germany building two factories early in the game paid off in the long run;  Japan went all out and knocked out China (some lessons learned there on what to do I think if the Japanese try that again (i.e. run behind the yellow line));

The Brits did a good job managing everything and keeping the Axis in check (held all the important points (Cairo, Gibraltar, England, etc.), but I think around Spring 1943 the culmination of the extra German production and the Japanese having taken out China began to take its toll.  The Germans were able to launch a late all out sub offensive in the North Atlantic which really threw the Allies off for almost a year, and they poured a tremendous amount of resources into Russia which left the Red Army in isolated pockets around Moscow/Leningrad, Baku and pushed back to the Urals.  The Japanese threw their army against Russia in 1943 as well - adding more threat's to Tiny's Russia which just could not fight off a 100+ point Germany and Japan - without an Allied Second front (which got stalled due to the U-Boat war and a disastrous assault on a heavily fortified German/Italian defensive position in North Africa).

Even a 1943 Normandy invasion and subsequent liberation of Paris was not enough to save the Allied cause as the Germans had enough resources to put a huge tank army into France and push the allies back into the ocean.

The Germans won on victory points in Spring 1944 (at about 8pm - we absolutely flew through the game - way to go Dave- on playing a very fast Germany).

Overall, GenCon was a blast - the games ended early (no midnight/early morning games this year) but they were all VERY fun - I had a great time and I hope everyone else did too!

Mark

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:52:01 AM by Mark »

David

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 07:03:01 AM »
Well Germany & Italy were a team effort with John and me making decisions on what to build. 

I was planning to go with the u-boat war, and had seen a previous player a couple of years ago, go with early factory builds and thought that was a good idea also.  John wanted the early factories also so that worked out well that we had basically the same ideas on what we wanted to do.

After Barbarossa, John pretty much ran the western and med. fronts while I ran the east.  That coupled with making sure we did our builds during the Allied turn allowed us to keep up a good pace to our turns. 

My theory on the East front was to push east as far and as fast as I could bypassing concentrated Russian defenses and trying to cut them out of supply.  It worked pretty well and the dice rolls helped, so we were able to put a lot of Russian infantry out of supply and keep pushing east, to reducing the Russian income as well as bombing what they did get. 
Russian counterattacks would put a portion of the German army out of supply, but we were able to reopen our supply lines relatively easy compared to the Russians, since we had a lot more of an offense then the Russains did.

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 10:48:07 AM »
OK I am recovered. We played a 1939 European Theater on Thurday at Gen Con which resulted in an Axis Victory fairly early on - about 5 PM.

The Saturday game went along at a fast pace. That was a blast. It was played well by all.

We should have pics to post soon!

John

kriegspieler7

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
I was the Italian player and I am not a real bad sore looser, but I did loose and I did get spanked pretty good, so I am sore.  :D A lways wanted to try that country for the game.  I played The War Game:  World War 2 on Saturday.  WW2:  The Struggle . . . has some similar things, but more detail.  TWG:WW2 is more like a pumped up Axis and Allies.

It was a blast, even though I choked.  If my life depended on it, I couldn't roll anything worth a shot of powder.  I realized what I did wrong:  I built a factory early on and should have waited to build it after Italy joined the conflict.  I just didn't have enough to take Greece and Crete.  And it was all down-hill after that.  I hope to make it back next year and take them or France.  I like trying the difficult country, that way, if I screw up, it won't be as long before I'm put out of my misery.  Of course, I will be trying to host a game too, with some ideas I have, so you guys better show up to answer any of the regular rule questions!

I hope to host a game at Rock-Con, Rockford, Illinois in November. 
If you guys who own WW2:The Struggle . . . aren't too disagreeable, I'd like to try and add Patrol Bombers, Float Fighters, and Cavalry to the game, when I host it. Not to worry, I won't sell it, and --well, if they work, --I'd even let you add them to the rules. :-\

Remember the Flying Boats I showed you Mark and John?  I will have those and the other two units represented.  I've got the White Ensign Models resin 1/700 FW 200 Condors and Sunderlands and Pit-road models 1/700 Mavis' and Emily's and PBY Catalina. I hope to get Historifigs N Scale Anti-Tank guns, if they every answer my email/correspondence. I'm looking at some 10mm or 11mm figures for Cavalry.  6mm would be too small and 15mm too big.  Brookhurst is slow on getting the Japanese "Rufe's" to me, but then, "patience is a virture." (update 22082007:  they are in UPS' hands.  Will report on that soon.)

John and Mark, you have done a great job.  I'm really glad you made the work so well.  Kudos 2 U both.

Kriegspieler7 (aka Paul E. Speerbrecker  ;D)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:31:17 AM by kriegspieler7 »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2007, 04:27:51 AM »
Hi Paul,
     I am glad you had fun. That is the point afterall. I have lost a lot of games and had a blast as well!
     I am sure Mark will agree - if there is something you want to add  - then do it. We have had a lot of input from many individuals. If it makes it a better game, we want to hear about it! Good luck at Rock Con and let us know if there are any questions!

John

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 04:58:29 AM »
Yup - Paul, I think you played a great Italy given that there were no U-boats harrassing the British - you caught the full force of their war effort and did a pretty good job slowing them down (bad dice and all)!

Look forward to seeing your rules ideas - please post them when you have them baked

See you next year,
Mark

RandR

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
What future CONs do you plan to attend from here?

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 06:53:03 AM »
Hello RandR,
   At this point it will probably be Origins and Gen Con - Of course - if you happen to be in the New England area - we do play locally regularly....