Author Topic: Tank Destroyers and Tank Effects  (Read 4252 times)

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
Tank Destroyers and Tank Effects
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
Hey Guys,

Setting up for another Europe Game.  Probably 1941.

Going back over the rules, I was wondering about Tank Effects. (Europa Speak: AECA)

The rules state that light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor may use Tank Effects if the defender has no Anti-Tank capable units.  Very Clear.  No problem there.

What about Tank Destroyers? (German StuG, JgPzr, Soviet SU-76)

I am real clear that they have Anti-Tank capability.  But do they also enjoy the +2 Armor Effect on the Attack?

My guess is no.  But I thought I would ask.

Wolf

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Destroyers and Tank Effects
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
They do have armor effects on the attack ...

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
This is a really good question.  You are correct that the armor effects concept was borrowed from Europa. . .good call.

I think for simplicity's sake, give them full armor effects on the attack as well as on the defense.

If you are playing with more advanced type players you could agree to give them 1/2 effects or something (+1) when on the offensive or none at all. 

I think their lower offensive rating though sort of compensates and can justify leaving the simple +2 for everything that looks like a tank.  So a StuG would have an offensive rating of 6 when attacking infantry only groups. . .

Certainly AT guns and 88s should have no armor effects but have the ability to negate armor effects on the defense

Wolf

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
 :)

Thanks Mark,

I agree with you. I think it is just best to give the Armor Effect to any armored unit.  Simple and Easy.  And we know for a fact the German StuG was used in an infantry support role.  The Tank Destroyers' lower offense balances out their not really being designed for the work, but they are still pretty immune to small arms fire.

Thanks again.