Forum Index > Reviews

WWII Struggle for Europe: An opportunity to personalize your own board game.

(1/10) > >>

georgemak1:
Ive been an owner of this game for 4 yrs, but I didnt actually started playing it the last 2. Im starting this blog to help new ppl to better understand this game, or give some ideas to the existing owners on where to find the playing pieces, painting ideas etc.. Ive been painting minis for a few yrs, Im not at any way a pro, but I try my best. When you order the game you receive an email with all the files( country charts, battleboards, and markers that you will need to print out on your own. I printed mine out, glue them on a card board and laminate the set charts. You You are also need to print out the playing counters and glue them underneath the minis, but I didnt have to do that since Im using my own personalized ones. At the first pics you will see how the battleboards look like and the national set cards. The map is a thing of beauty, and the apprx size is 4x6 ft.

georgemak1:
Now to store all the playing pieces I purchased a few multi compartment storage cases, you can find them at Home Depot or Harbor Freight and they are pretty inexpensive.  I use one for the Axis plus French units, one for the Allies and their minor, one for the air unit bases, and one for the game markers. I advice you to purchase a few different color chips, I use them to mark fortification construction, units that have been retreated or naval transported and cant move in the mech phase. I purchased mine At HBG (Historical Board Gaming) and they cost 2.75 for 50 of them.

georgemak1:
Now lets start viewing the playing pieces. Ill start with the generic ones (ill use them for every country), leader stands, landing craft, fortification, and AA units. I purchased these plastic stands online, then cut them in half they work perfect for the leaders as you can see. For AA units I use the AA that came with the Axis and Allies game, very inexpensive solution. For landing craft I purchased them online from a company that I dont remember at the moment, I paid 10-15 bucks for a dozen of them. For fortification I went with something that looks like a bunker, HBG sells them,Part Number ACC_VCMTOK-2.

georgemak1:
Ill start showing every country individually, Ill start with German inf pieces. You will need 4 different types of them, early 39-41( better combat values), late 42- 45, Mnt troops, and Paratroopers. For the early war inf I used Caesar Set H037 painting them with the usual early war theme Grey pants with the greenish top. For the late war I used Caesar set HB01 with the appropriate uniform, very easy to distinguish them in the game. An inexpensive option will be, use the A&A inf with different painting schemes. For Mnt inf is a mix of Caesar Set H067 and Caesar Set H005, and for Paratroopers I used a mix of Caesar Set H068 and HBGs "Battle Pieces" - WW2 Germany Expansion Set. First pic is the early war vs late war inf, and the second pic is the Mnt and the para units.

georgemak1:
]GERMAN ARMOR UNITS: There are 7 different armor pieces in this game, let start with each one individually.

1)Panzergrenadiers:1/285 Sdkfz 251 vehicle which comes in 2 choices, metal from cinc or GHQ, or plastic from the HBG website, have both and look great, painted dark blue/grey
2)SS Panzergrenadiers:  Same as the above but I use a camouflage painting theme, very easily distinguishable.
3)Panzer unit: I personally use a plastic PzIII piece that I purchased from HBG, can use any PzIII or IV models.
4)Heavy Panzer: I use the piece that came fro  the Battle of the Bulge A&A game, can probably use a Panther tank for this.
5)SS Panzer: I use a Tiger piece, plastic bought it from HBG.
6)STG Assault Gun: I use a StuGIII piece, cut the turret, from HBG.
7)Jagdpanzers: I use the1/285 JGPZ IV L70 piece from GHQ.

As I noted above my choices arent always the best that I can find out there, but I did try to keep the budget low, or use pieces that I already owned. I even to this day I look for ways to upgrade my pieces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version