Author Topic: Russian Winter 1941  (Read 3919 times)

Darkman

• General
    • View Profile
Russian Winter 1941
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »
New Rulebook:
the first Winter turn that Germany is at war with Russia, all Axis units (Except Winterized units i.e., German and Italian Mountain Infantry and Finnish units) are considered out of supply during the mechanized movement phase. This applies to all German ground and air units in the 1939 borders of the Soviet Union.   Therefore, German units may not mech-move during the first Russian Winter (as they are out of supply).  Soviet units may move and attack – and when resolving combat, German (non-winterized) units receive a negative modifier to their defensive values for being out of supply.

Q: Does this include the Soviet-Nazi Border ? Eastern Poland , Riga, Estonia , and so on? Or only Territories before Turn 1?

Additionally, all Soviet units are considered mechanized for movement and combat during the first Russian winter (including artillery, air, infantry and armor).  Soviet non-Winterized units still receive the -1 combat modifier for attacking in the Winter, but essentially all Soviet units may move and attack during the Winter mechanized phase.

Q2: So you can really move all soviet troops in the first mechanized winter ?!? Without motorization and such?  :o Brutal *g*
Q3: Also all soviet units that were returned\retreated during normal combat Phase?
Q4: Why can't the soviets build more schock troops?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:24:24 AM by Darkman »

John D.

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Winter 1941
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:33:37 AM »
New Rulebook:
the first Winter turn that Germany is at war with Russia, all Axis units (Except Winterized units i.e., German and Italian Mountain Infantry and Finnish units) are considered out of supply during the mechanized movement phase. This applies to all German ground and air units in the 1939 borders of the Soviet Union.   Therefore, German units may not mech-move during the first Russian Winter (as they are out of supply).  Soviet units may move and attack – and when resolving combat, German (non-winterized) units receive a negative modifier to their defensive values for being out of supply.

Q: Does this include the Soviet-Nazi Border ? Eastern Poland , Riga, Estonia , and so on? Or only Territories before Turn 1?

Additionally, all Soviet units are considered mechanized for movement and combat during the first Russian winter (including artillery, air, infantry and armor).  Soviet non-Winterized units still receive the -1 combat modifier for attacking in the Winter, but essentially all Soviet units may move and attack during the Winter mechanized phase.

Q2: So you can really move all soviet troops in the first mechanized winter ?!? Without motorization and such?  :o Brutal *g*
Q3: Also all soviet units that were returned\retreated during normal combat Phase?
Q4: Why can't the soviets build more schock troops?

1) Only before turn one.
2) Yes (not as brutal as you think - I thought the same thing before we actually played with the rule)
3) I would say no - but that may need clarification from Mark - Great question!
4) Not sure - I kinda like them

georgemak1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
So back to Darkmans Q3 do Russian units that retreat it from battle can still move in the mech phase of W41? I wouldnt think so but can Mark please clarify this?

Mark

• Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:35:52 AM »
Yes - regardless of retreats during the regular combat phase, all Russian units can move and attack during the mech phase during the Soviet first Winter.  We contemplated making this a separate special movement and combat phase after the mech phase during the Winter turn, but instead made it a part of the mech phase.  Maybe making it its own special russian only movement and combat phase would remove some of the confusion.

Russian first Winter effects are only for territories in the original 39 Russian borders - so does not count in Eastern Poland or the Baltic States (or Bessarabia).